Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Have I magically passed my motorbike test without actually doing it?
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Looking at renting a scooter on holiday but have never passed my bike test so stuck with 50cc or so I thought……Checked my licence last night and the category A (motorbike) bit has 2013 dated and a few numbers to the right. the moped bit is also dated. I got my licence in ’89

Does this mean I can go out and buy a Fireblade tomorrow?

Speshpaul

“Does this mean I can go out and buy a Fireblade tomorrow? “

Yes.*

*I nothing about bike licences, but you can go and buy a fireblade.

iolo
    Free Member

Is the number 79? You can only drive a trike if so.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looking at mine I think class A is unrestricted motorbikes, A1 and A2 are the restricted ones and AM are mopeds I think…

It might be a mistake, but the DVLA doesn’t make mistakes so they won’t change it, like the poor souls who’ve been riding for years who lost their bike license when they renewed because some lazy Jack couldn’t be bothered to type it. They refused to fix that too.

Blade away!

hammyuk
    Free Member

I got hit with that one P-Jay along with the examiner who took me for the retest.
    Even DVLA couldn’t explain how he had copies of everything, had tested over 5000 bikers and even more car drivers, etc yet they said he didn’t have a license.
    I served court papers on them for it as I had everything going back to 1987 but they still refused to accept they were wrong.
    Court ruled against them but only after 18mths and £4k (retest, insurance tripled, costs, etc)
    Got it all back but was a nightmare.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, I was a motorcycle instructor at the time. Happened to one of the motorcycle coppers in the area. He turned up to retake his test on his “company” bike, much to the amusement of the examiner.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was under the impression having passed your driving test before a certain date (80s/90s) lowered the bar regarding the requirements to get a bike licence. But that his had all been knocked on the head recently (10 years ago ish) and it was pretty much a one size fits all approach now.

hammyuk
    Free Member

If you don’t have it now – it doesn’t matter.
    It’s one test that everyone has to do.
    The only difference is if you are over a certain age you can DA and get an unrestricted license.
    If not then you’re on the restricted license for CC/BHP for the specified term.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I have a full motorcycle licence and in the far right hand box the only restriction is “01” (I need to have vision corrected”).

My wife, who has never ridden a motorbike, has “A” entitlement with 79(tri) and “01” in the box, meaning she can ride a motor tricycle with corrected vision.

Rich.

RustyNissanPrairie

rwamartin – Member
    I have a full motorcycle licence and in the far right hand box the only restriction is “01” (I need to have vision corrected”).

My wife, who has never ridden a motorbike, has “A” entitlement with 79(tri) and “01” in the box, meaning she can ride a motor tricycle with corrected vision.

Rich.

bugger – didn’t know what the 79 bit meant, oh well Fireblade trike it is and a 50cc chicken chaser on holiday

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Have I magically passed my motorbike test without actually doing it?’ is closed to new replies.