Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • has anyone ever done afan W2 and skyline in the same day
  • mrlard
    Free Member

simple question? whos done it? 👿

One for the weekend I am thinking

titusrider
    Free Member

You wouldnt run out of time, you would run out of legs!

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I did them on consecutive days and am sure it was the sole reason for riding into a tree on the last descent of the day on day 2.

I was so tired.

mrlard
    Free Member

its a bit of a big ask i know! But its something we have threatened in the pub a few times in the past.

I am not sure i got it in me but there is only one way to find out 😐

dannyboy
    Free Member

Yes, was quite a mission…was training for Transrockies…had a long cold beer afterwards at the now saddly missed cafe.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I would do the W2 first, I was so angry at myself for being so tired at the end as the descent is AMAZING…… But then so is the one at the end of Skyline (The only bit worth doing in my opinion)……

Trimix
    Free Member

I would wait for a summers day – better conditions, longer day.

Everything is nicer on a summers day. Even feeling knackered at the end is better in the sun. You could finish up drinking beer colapsed in your tent in the sun, whereas this weekend you will end up cold, wet and knackered in the dark, in the rain.

How many mile will it be.

tonyg2003

Nope just Pehydd and W2W when Penhydd was open. Could do it in a morning. Dannyboy – Skyline and W2W is a mission!

mrlard
    Free Member

dannyboy roughly how long did it take you?

my logic would be 4 hours for w2 follwed by 4 hours skyline plus adding on two hours for skyline due to being ****! so 10 hrs?!?

also what way around did you do it. In my mind the logical way would be w2 followed by skyline?!?!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Kinda, did W2 + Penhydd + July in a day a lot early last year when training for 24 solo. Nice day out.

DT78
    Free Member

I’ve done the wall and skyline in one day – before W2 existed.

Shouldn’t be too hard I would have thought. Make sure you have enough water I did the above on a really hot summers day and ran out of water about 2/3s of the way through skyline…I think it took me 7-8 hours on a big heavy 6″ fs.

Pretty sure one of the mags had an article with an XC racer riding all of the afan trails in one day/night

mrlard
    Free Member

its approx 56 miles with diversions at the min i recon its more like 52

Trimix
    Free Member

That will be tough.

GavinB

Me and a mate did all the trails there about 3-4 years ago, although not sure if the trails have changed much since then.

We started at Glyncorrwyg, rode Skyline, then Whites, then the Wall (using the old railway line to connect), then finished with Penhydd and a very long and boring ride back up to Glyncorrwyg.

tbh it wasn’t too bad. Obviously navigation is never going to be an issue, and there are plenty of opportunities to re-stock with water/food/spares if things go wrong. Just happened to be a really grotty day, so both of us ran out of pads and ended up riding front brake only on the final section of Penhydd 😯

dannyboy
    Free Member

Did Skyline, got to the bottom thought that I hadn’t riden enough had a Torq bar and got staight back on it and did W2.

Skyline was 3hrs 40mins then W2 in around 2 hours from memory…didn’t stop much!

It was a goloriously sunny June day in 2007 not too hot…perfect dry dusty trails. Just like the one Trimix is talking about!

Pieface

Is W2 Whites level?

It was a long time ago, before they re-developed Glyncorrwg but I did Whites Level before lunch then the skyline after lunch.

Diawl
    Free Member

W2 links Whites and The Wall.

Keva
    Free Member

W2 in two hours is pretty quick going, takes me about three and a half and I don’t exactly ride slowly.

Kev

llama

No but I’ve done Skyline, Whites, Wall, AND Penhydd in a day

This was before the W2 link and the energy section, and not the black bit. I carried all food and drink. Judging by some of the looks I got by the time I got to Penhydd I was in a bit of a state, but I felt OK. Slow and steady is the key.

I went this year and I was shagged after just doing Whites

Lofty
    Free Member

MrLard – are you fat? I’m lead to believe you are.

For someone like me who is very fit / skillfull and has endless determination and stamina i’m sure it will be fine.

I’m thinking of strapping a selection of pies to my back to make sure you match my pace and stay motivated!

dannyboy
    Free Member

Keva,

Might have been closer to 3 then – it was a while ago!

I just remember sitting collapse in a heap on the deck at the cafe with an ice cold beer hoping that Tansrockies wasn’t going to be as hard 🙂

DB

njee20
    Free Member

A couple of years ago Gee of these parts and I did all 3 of the original CyB trails in a day, twice, which was 98 miles. W2 and Skyline would be easy, 6 hours I reckon!

Have done W2 and Penhydd in just over 4 IIRC, and a friend did all 4 pre the W2 link like Llama above.

Graham_Clark

Indeed… Just after Skyline was opened (before Glyncorrwg was built!) Me and a mate started at the Afan visitors centre and cycled all the trails at the time (the mass of old railway line to get to Glyncorrwg and back was the worst bit!)… Roasting hot summers day took about 10 hours all in and we ran out of liquid. But definately do-able….

Twodogs

I’ve done Skyline, the Wall and Penhydd in one day..like Dannyboy, I was training for the Transrockies. Took 6.5 hours the first time, and just under 6 the second time, IIRC.
    Hoping they open Penhydd in time for me to do the same for this years TR training!

Twodogs

(96km by the way)

dannyboy
    Free Member

Twodogs – what year did you do TR? I’d love to go back for more and had planned on this year but governement and household cut backs nicely reorganised my racing calendar…hopefully next year.

I did 2007 in open men we came in 65th (objective was to finish first and race second…ended up racing like mad men in the end!)

DB

Twodogs

2009…it was as wet as a very wet thing for 5 out of the 7 days…endless flipping mud. Fun tho…afterwards! We just wanted to finish, and did – I think we were 18th or 19th out of 34 teams that started in our (old) agegroup.
    really looking forward to it and the course is comletely changed…fernie to canmore, not Panorama to fernie as we did

if you’re bored ..my training blog

MaD
    Free Member

I did all four trails in one go last year just before Penhydd was closed. W2 and Skyline makes a nice day out, but as said above there are a lot of diversions on skyline at the moment.

Better to start at Afan and do it from there at the moment…..at least there’s the cafe at the end.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’ve also done all 4 (Penhydd, Whites, Wall, Skyline) in a day and used the low level link, rather than the W2 link.
    Took just under 6hrs I think, on a singlespeed. Fun ride and pretty challenging.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘has anyone ever done afan W2 and skyline in the same day’ is closed to new replies.