Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Has 10 speed made me faster?
  • prahran
    Free Member

Since getting my new bike with 10 speed on, I seem to be a lot faster than I was on my old 9 speed bike. I ride with the same group of people, and I’ve noticed it’s me who has to wait for them. Before, it was the other way round.
    I imaging I’ve got a bit fitter as I’ve been riding through the winter twice a week but I can’t help but think that because of the different gear ratios, I can just keep pedalling and pedalling.
    Has anyone else noticed a change in their performance on 10 speed or is it that I’m just actually fitter than I was?

scaredypants

I doubt any more than a tiny bit of it’s the gears, unless the overall ratio spread has changed massively (and your 1st bike was inappropriate range)

new bike prob = better/lighter bike, plus fitter you –> faster

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Do you find that it’s almost impossible to get mud out from between the front three chainrings, or is that just me? Are they closer together or just a different shape?

It’s your fitness btw.

Trimix
    Free Member

You will always be 10% faster due to buying shiny new bike bits – its a mtb law.

Oh, and the fact you have been riding all winter.

prahran
    Free Member

I was sceptical about 10 speed when I got it, thinking it would be all over the place, especially through the winter but I’ve had no problems to date.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve only used it once, I borrowed a mate’s bike to do the Whinlatter Enduro on. Didn’t actually notice until after the race that I had 30 gears, just that it was a massive faff to get the mud out from between the front chain rings.

glenh
    Free Member

Not bad. 8/10.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i find it odd that you have a whole new bike and see fit to single out one small aspect of it as responsible for making you faster!

scaredypants

glenh – Member
    Not bad. 8/10

you do wonder sometimes 😳

prahran
    Free Member

8/10? I don’t get it.
    My old bike was exactly the same as my new bike, just a 2011 model with 10 speed on. I change every year.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Has 10 speed made me faster?’ is closed to new replies.