• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dcl.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hardtail woes, what way forwards?
  • breninbeener

Im lucky enough to have a few bikes of different types, and I’ve been riding MTBs about 25+ years.

I have followed new developments and fashion too, and I currently have a bike I’m struggling with. I suspect I’ve started to suffer skill fade from riding modern long travel trail bikes……

The bike i struggle with is a 2011 Trek Elite 9.8 26”. Its a fab full carbon HT, with tubeless xc wheels, XT and Bontrager race finishing kit. Its very fast, and has Fox 100 F series forks. I struggle riding it with my friends as I find Im quick uphill, but on the more technical stuff Im struggling to descend. I appear to struggle with narrow bars, and the required skill and concentration to get down at a decent pace. I think my other bikes which are full sus have eroded my tech skills so I cant really do the bike justice.

I really enjoyed a Commencal Super 4 I had a few years ago, so I was wondering what short travel 26 FS frame should I consider to transplant all my Elite parts onto, in an attempt to regain some xc style pace?
    Or is the problem the change in position ( from my Remedy/Stereo 160c) and bar width?

I have looked at the TITUS Racer X which seems like it may be a suitable frame for my donor parts. Anyone have any ideas or observations?

Or if I have missed any options/ideas, im open to suggestions and the collected wisdom of the forum….

Many thanks

flicker
    Free Member

Stick some wider bars on it and try them first?

GeForceJunky

Giant Anthem with 120mm forks and wider bars 🙂 Many bargain 26″ frame to be found in the classified.

DaRC_L

What do your friends ride?
    If they’re all on 160/140mm Full Sussers is it any surprise that the HT is quicker uphill & slower downhill?

breninbeener

Current bars are 610mm flat carbons. I will try with a spare pair of 700 risers i have……

sandwicheater

Paint it red or some cool Enduro colour if you want to go fast down hill.

munrobiker
    Free Member

The answer is definitely a Giant Anthem if you want to just move the bits over. You should be able to find a 26″ frame for about £300, sell your frame and get some wider bars (700ish worked on my Anthem) and you’ll be very happy.

breninbeener

No, its not a surprice, but im struggling with the inequality and not really enjoying riding it as hard as i can.

I ride with guys on trail rigs, but i also ride alone too

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

@ breninbeener, i have a similar issue buddy. I run a 26 ht kinesis, 100mm rebas 1×10 etc, after a recent visit to coedy i was the only one on a HT, all the others were on 140mm plus FS. I was ok in some parts, the rolling/flowy singletrack where i was just as quick, but anything technical I was slower on. Probably most of that is down to my skill, but i was certainly more “cautious” on the rocky drop offs on the beast.

I have a lovely FS which was in bits at the time, so in the newyear i will probably look at getting a Soul 26 and sticking some 120-140 forks on it

steve_b77
    Free Member

Surely the answer is 650b

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

some ideas
    – shorter stem
    – wider/higher rise bars
    – bigger volume tyres
    – drop the saddle a bit
    – tweak the forks (compression/rebound/air)

stumpy01

I struggle riding it with my friends as I find Im quick uphill, but on the more technical stuff Im struggling to descend. I appear to struggle with narrow bars, and the required skill and concentration to get down at a decent pace.

If all your mates are on bikes better suited to technical stuff, is it any great surprise that you are slower than them?
    I wouldn’t worry about it, or stick some wider bars on and get practising on it. Isn’t the Trek Elite quite a racy bike, so perhaps a bit twitchier on the descents?

alpin
    Free Member

a slacker hardtail?

Ragley Pigs going relatively cheap on CRC at the moment…

jambalaya
    Free Member

What skills have faded ?

I would say in general you’ll be slower downhill on a HT than a FS, that not due to skill fade that’s just the rear-suspension doing it’s job

kayla1
    Free Member

750mm bars and a short stem would be a cheaper ‘suck it and see’ option than just jumping (arf!) in at the deep end and buying a new frame. You could pick up some decent stuff for less than £50 if you don’t need badge. Wider bars were a revelation for me 😀

onewheelgood

I have an old Anthem X (2009) which was also a bit twitchy on the tech stuff. 120mm forks made a surprisingly big difference – might do the same for your Trek.

dcl

I just got back from FOD yesterday after my first ride on a Mondraker Vantage. Aggressive hard tail with 140mm travel, big tyres and wide bars. Previously I had been on a 29er hard tail with 100mm of travel.
    I had great fun and rode the xc trails with a guy on a carbon 29er. The ups were fine and the downs fun.
    The tyres and fork travel made the most difference.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail woes, what way forwards?’ is closed to new replies.