• This topic has 26 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hardtail frame recommendations please?
  • andyeez
    Free Member

I am looking to build a hardtail and having ridden FS for over ten years, could do with some guidance. ie. is steel a better option due to its flexibility? I quite fancy a 456 frame 16" but have been informed they are quite heavy. Must be disc compatible and geared. Any ideas would be welcome. £130 ish budget. Cheers.

hora
    Free Member

I've just had my second ride on my 456 (16"). Its not as heavy as some and its pre-CERN.

Bargain in my books.

HTTP404
    Free Member

That's not much of a budget.
    I don't think the 456 is heavy for what it is.
    I have a Charge Duster in the posh tubing which weighs just under 5lbs. The same size 456 weighs a little over 5lbs.

Anyway – you should be more concerned how it rides.

I had a 456 and liked it a lot.

alpin
    Free Member

don't wet yourself about the weight. you won't notice it after a week or so.

njee20
    Free Member

Carbon frame off eBay? Slightly over budget at around £200, search for 'carbon MTB frame', my 18" one is 1240g. More along the 'XC' side of things, but certainly light.

hp_source

for £130 a 456 is pretty much the only option I'd say… maybe a cheap CRC frame, or handsome dog from All terrain.

and I've got a 456 16" too, not too heavy, and a lovely bike to ride.

hora
    Free Member

If its a steel frame- your really not going to feel circa 200gm's between each steel frame.

The price versus quality is amazing when you look at the likes of the appalling value of a £900 Chromag.

simon1975

If you're looking at On-one, the Inbred's a smidge lighter than the 456 but not as 'core.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Got a lot of choices second hand. I bought a Kenisis Maxlight for £70 off ebay.

soobalias
    Free Member

brand-x xc hardtail frame from crc.

i had an 18" for the last three years, took a 130mm manitou fork happily
    really cant fault it for the price.

from your budget that will allow you to spend a little more on a nicer saddle to help take the sting out of it.

alexpalacefan

The 456 is by far the best bike I've owned, (inc. alu and steel HTs and a high-end full sus).

It climbs and descends like nothing else, since I've owned it I'e ridden stuff I never managed on any other bike, (Dark Peak mostly).

Get one of the last pre-CERN frames that are still available, you won't regret it.

Alex

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Another vote for the 456. It's not lardy at all. Ok compared to some frames it comes up heavier but for the price and ride it's hard to beat. And it's all about the ride. It never feels heavy just "chuckable".

andyeez
    Free Member

Looks like it's the 456 then. Pardon my ignorance but what is the pre-CERN?
    Thanks for the views btw.

hora
    Free Member

CERN is built to a certain strength- pre-CERN will be slightly lighter.

andyeez
    Free Member

How do you know which model it is? Are they the ones currently for sale on the On-One website?

ando227
    Free Member

You won't go far wrong with a 456, i had an steel inbred which i loved. The rear end which is pretty similar to a steel 456 was very complient.
    Got to be the best value hardtails going!
    Now have the ti456 which is great, the only downside is the bracing bar between the chainstay and seat stay seems to make the rear a little harsher than the steel one.

ando227
    Free Member

i think they mean CEN which has produced a EU standard for the construction of bike frames to make sure they are strong enough for the job.

toys19
    Free Member

I've got a 456, apart from very tight clearances between the chainrings and the frame which can exacerbate any chain suck problem, its a fab bike to ride, I love it.

hora
    Free Member

How do you know which model it is? Are they the ones currently for sale on the On-One website?

Aprils is the first shipment of CErN frames I think?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Secondhand Genesis Altitude?

andyeez
    Free Member

If that's an offer Mr P I might be interested. Do you have some pics and more details please? Mail in profile.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as a committed full suss rider for the last 5 years (due to medical problem more than free choice) I have finally put a toe back into the world of HT…..

and yes, I got a 456. In 16", chocolate brown and cream.

Well impressed with the quality and finish for the money. Weighs 5lbs on my kitchen scales, but then I'm putting SEVEN pound Marz 55R's on it (straight parts swap from my Kona Coiler) so the "excess" frame weight is negligible.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Voodoo Wanga.
    Had and Inbred before this and prefer the Wanga

eistrar
    Free Member

I have this on the classifieds now.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sorry it is not an offer, just an idea of something to look out for.

alexpalacefan

D'oh! CEN of course. CERN is a huge particle accelerator.

Yeah, the current 456's are the pre-CEN ones. I'm seriously tempted to get one for spare for when I finally break my current one.

A

hora
    Free Member

They also should be a few 2ndhand Blue Pigs knocking about now as they've been out a while?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail frame recommendations please?’ is closed to new replies.