Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hanging bikes in the garage
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

With the arrival of three new kids bikes at Christmas and the drunken ebay purchase of a 20 inch trails bike I now can not store the buggers and get into the garage.
    Nipped down to B&Q earlier looking for some kind of hook that I could screw to the walls and hang ’em high by the front wheel. Could not find anything that looked fit for purpose.
    Anyone got a suggestion? Links appreciated….

coastkid
    Free Member

screw fix do big hooks,pvc coated, strong and cheap 😮
    100mm wide hooks

seanodav
    Free Member

I use a couple of these, one on the saddle and the other on the bars.
    Screw them in the joists on the roof.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=8835&f_SupersetQRY=C288&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003136c003545

molgrips
    Free Member

They used to sell them, they don’t any more. Check Wiggle etc.

I have hooks screwed to a beam across the garage, because I can angle the beam to get the hooks pulling at the right angle. If I’d screwed them to the wall they’d have pulled out at a funny angle.

ourmaninthenorth

Kids bikes on the floor; adult bikes hanging by their top tubes from the roof over the top.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

The plan, as it is in my head, is for two of the kids bikes to be parked near the garage door so the little darlings can get them out without running the gauntlet of chemical burns and power tools I forgot to unplug. Already in the rafters are the tag-along and the as new bike SWMBO has had for 5 years. We shall not worry about these two.

I don’t have a lot of floor space but there are a few areas above the workbench and in one of the corners that the others could hang, if suspended vertically wheels against the wall, and allow me to get into the garage.

The hooks Seanodav linked too might have potential. need to go and look at the where they could be screwed into.

Tracey

We use these from Decathlon

You can just see them at the back of the photo

Jase
    Free Member

I have 2 wall mounts, about £12 from Wiggle IIRC and I believe they fold up.

Northwind

Tesco sell simple pvc-coated hooks, think they’re 2 for a pound. Exactly the same part as the expensive park tools ones, just red instead of blue 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

I mounted my old halfords car boot rack to mine and can fit 2 bikes on it 🙂

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Tracey – Member

We use these from Decathlon

Looks perfect, sadly Decathlon do not seem to deliver and the nearest one is 140+ miles away..

Tracey

How many do you need, will be passing the Sheffield one on Saturday and if they have any in stock could get some and post them on

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 of these (got them on Ebay for about £4 each)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-wall-rack/

servo
    Free Member

I’ve got these from halfords. You can get narrower ones from other suppliers for road bikes as well.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_525671_langId_-1_categoryId_242557

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Tracey, thanks for the kind offer. I think Neninja has just solved the problem.

Why did I not think of Ebay before!

ChrisE
    Free Member

I use this website lots. It’s the guys who set up Screwfix before they sold it to B&Q;

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardware/Hooks+Picture+Hanging/d170/sd2668

Free postage on orders of £10

C

kimbers

i run one of these across the width of my shed and just hook the front wheels over it, got 6 bikes on there easily
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20179940

i had planned to make one of them diy indoor bike racks but never got round to it

cp

Wickes do them wide enough to take mtb wheels/tyres- about 3 quid for two. You screw them to a vertical surface.

Wilkinson do screw-in type similar to the screwfix ones above, for about 1.20 each. I’ve just done the same thing in the cellar – will get photos later!!

cp

here’s mine. grey ones from Wickes, red ones from Wilkinsons. I use the red ones on the road bikes (23 and 32mm tyres) and the grey ones on the mtbs

br
    Free Member

My garage is quite tall (and with a loft 😆

I just stuck a beam across the garage, about 6 inches lower than the current rafters, and then hang the less-used bikes by the saddle front, horizontal. Wheels off.

ratadog

I have an old garage with dodgy plaster and went for a Saris Bike trac – expensive but mount to any surface. Wiggle sell them as do others.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

All sorted now. Very pleased with the “newly found” floorspace!

As they say a pic is worth a thousand words and the ones from CP were very helpful.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hanging bikes in the garage’ is closed to new replies.