Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hands up who’s broken a Thomson stem?
  • myheadsashed

I found a bloody big crack in one of mine today which is slightly worrying as it’s not that old and I have 4 others of the same type. 😥

markyd

I’ve been as heavy as 16st and have never had any problems with either the Elite or X4 (or even my Ritchey WCS for that matter). SOunds like you’ve just bee unlucky and should see if they’ll change it under warranty

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Faceplate or body?
    If it’s the body I’m worried…

twohats
    Free Member

I cracked the faceplate my X4.

singlespeedstu

cracked a faceplate before.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Faceplate cracking is normally user error, now if a main body broke, then I’d be worried.

takisawa2

They’re cut from a solid billet of alloy.
    Alloy has a “grain” structure & cutting across it will always expose any defects in the material when you start stressing it. While a forged stem is theoretically stronger, the machining on the Thomson kit I have is some of the best quality I’ve ever seen. Way way better then Hope.
    And my 17st bulk has been bouncing on a 27.2 Thomson post with 280mm showing for ages with no problems, as per the X4 stems I’ve owned.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thomson products in “fallible” shocked!

duir
    Free Member

Try for a warranty return and if that doesn’t work then buy a replacement faceplate. Then either take the stem and new faceplate to a qualified mechanic to fit or buy yourself a decent torque wrench.

myheadsashed

I have about 10 torque wrenches thanks duir which from 0 upto 1600Nm. I check stuff daily using them. It’s an X2 stem and the faceplate has cracked. Yes it was torqued up correctly. I am quite large though. 😀

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

you check it daily? thats probably what broke it 😉

singlespeedstu

#
    2unfit2ride – Member

Faceplate cracking is normally user error, now if a main body broke, then I’d be worried.
    Posted 19 hours ago # Report-Post

**** me you can tell that without any detail of how it happend.

Do you work for Octopron Components.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Hands up who’s broken a Thomson stem?’ is closed to new replies.