Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Handlebar upgrade…is it worthwhile?
  • indiajazz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Soul and I’m on a mission.When I got her built I was on a strict budget so had to skimp on a few things but I’ve recently upgraded my wheels to Mavic SLR’s which have made no end of a difference,I can’t afford a group set upgrade at the moment but perhaps a handlebar one…….or is it pointless?
    I’ve currently got an FSA xc300 680 mm.Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

AlasdairMc

Depends what you want to get from an upgrade. If you’re happy with the sweep and shape, all that’ll change is the feel of the bar. Having said that, I went to a Ti bar recently and it has been brilliant. Stiff but it takes the edge off trail buzz, I’d recommend it.

br
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with a decent carbon bar – light, strong and takes away the ‘vibes’.

indiajazz
    Free Member

I love the ride but have noticed a slight neck ache after a couple of hours although I reckon that’s more that I’ve just back on it after the footy season…..have often wondered if I’m reaching a tad too much though?

themightymowgli
    Free Member

For me a wider bar (780mm) and 50mm stem made an incredible difference. Like power steering

indiajazz
    Free Member

Are you on a 29?Im 26….perhaps a 780 mm would be too much?

unovolo
    Free Member

Fitted a Richey 2xWCS Trail bar to my 29er and noted 2 things:-
    1.A wider bar is a revelation from a control point of view(combined with a shortish stem).
    2.The Ritchey bar has more back sweep than what I have previously used and for me its loads more comfortable.

I appreciate Bar shape and sweep is similar to Saddles in that a certain style wont suit everyone but its worth trying out.

nickc

a short stem and wide bar combo have reduced the pain between my shoulders considerably

molgrips
    Free Member

What vibes exactly come through dirt, a 2.3″ tyre and 5″ of suspension travel?

I’ve had carbon and alu bars on mtbs, never noticed any difference whatsoever. 10psi difference in the tyres, noticed that.

As above bar shape and sweep makes a huge difference, but I’m not convinced material does other than weight and cost.

FWIW I found 760 way too wide on a 26er – 680 is my limit I think. Everyone will tell you that wider is better, but it is NOT always the case.

jamj1974

I use 780mm Renthal Fatbar Carbon bars on a 26″ Cotic Soda . I think it feels better that way than it did with 740mm aluminium Easton Havens. Better control and more forgiving. I also went from 80mm to 60mm stem.

I do have a 6′ 2″ span and pretty wide shoulders though.

iainc

711 Easton carbon haven bars on my Soul, they are great IMO !

jamj1974

As above bar shape and sweep makes a huge difference, but I’m not convinced material does other than weight and cost.

Have to disagree with Mr M Grips on this one. Bar geometry is more important but material can make a huge difference. I remember going from chromoly to aluminium bars way back when and the difference was huge. Also not all bar vibration comes from the front.

nickc

FWIW I found 760 way too wide on a 26er – 680 is my limit I think.

there’s a big difference between those widths.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

It is a 26″ I ride, 780mm of carbon cush. Again I’m tallish and broad

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar upgrade…is it worthwhile?’ is closed to new replies.