Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Handlebar question.
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I have a brand new Giant Cypher 5″ travel full susser (replacing Reign which weighed 34lbs and rode up hill like a pig!) and I need a shorter stem so planning on getting an Easton Haven:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=63718

So then I fancied some new bars ….. was wondering whether you would get the Easton Haven carbon bars?
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Bars++Stems/Handlebars+-+Riser/Easton+Haven+Carbon+Riser+Bar_HAVEN-CARBON-BAR.htm

or just to get the normal ones?

I am not into phat rad jumps but I’m would say I’m relatively quick and ride aggressively for a chick…. argh I’ll say it .. and I dont’ really crash, so would you go for carbon or not??

Kahurangi

You need some help to justify it?

If course you should! You’ll save 40g and your wallet will be £45 lighter too!

Seriously, if you want it, do it. But you’ll never really notice the difference and £45 will go a long way for a good cause or in the real world/off the bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’m not asking to justify the money, I’m asking if people recommend carbon bars, I’m a bit paranoid about crashing with them that’s all!

rs
    Free Member

you’re a girl! you’ll be fine 😉

dans160
    Free Member

Get the Easton Haven kit from Merlin. I signed up to there free VIP members thing and got my Haven stem for £61 posted. It’s very nice. I use Sunline bars though so cannot comment of Haven bars but I too am paranoid about carbon bars so I would get the normal ones and save the £45 for other shiny things.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Think it’s decided normal Haven bars not carbon! cheers guys

Kahurangi

I’m not asking to justify the money, I’m asking if people recommend carbon bars, I’m a bit paranoid about crashing with them that’s all!

Sorry, I missed the point there.

I’d have no concerns over Carbon kit. I’ve got carbon bars and seatposts on one/some fo my bikes. They’ve suffered the odd crash and haven;t given me grief.

The only component I have ‘broken’ instead of just wearing out was an Aluminium alloy rim.

If you did need reassuring over Carbon, then check out Easton’s warranty on their carbon kit? Is it lifetime? Or only 5 years? Either way, it used to be longer than the Alu kit.

Also have a look for the video where Niner set about destroying some forks with a hammer. Hardy scientific and the kit is structurally damaged, but it’s a statement of the resilience of Carbon in a crash.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve been using CF bars for years, crashed a few times, flown over the bars too. No damage, no worries. it of flex in them though, I like it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Handlebar question.’ is closed to new replies.