Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Handing in notice
  • Conqueror
    Free Member

Is telling your peers at work youve handed in your notice a bad idea?

Would you think less of someone if they didn’t?

timc
    Free Member

bit weird if you dont IMO

devs
    Free Member

Eh? Telling everyone is the best bit! Watching their poor little faces drop when they ask you to do something and you say nope, you’ll need to get used to me not being here and being generally obnoxious and disruptive for your notice period.

theboatman
    Free Member

I think it’s much better if you just disappear one day without telling anyone anything, it means you won’t have to pretend to stay ‘friends’ with any of them, it will give you some oddball loner chic. But don’t expect a leaving do or present…………..is this your first job?

cookeaa

It all depends really on weather you and your “peers” (I notice you don’t call them colleagues or workmates) get along or not, if you do then let them know, if you don’t well it’s up to you, it might be considered professional courtesy but then again a bit of antagonism as a parting shot if you happen to work with some proper pricks may make you feel a bit better but is it worth it?

One thing I will say though, it’s always best not to burn your bridges if you can help it, you never know who you’ll be working with a decade from now…

You know your own circumstances and those involved better than anyone else…

scotabroad

Sure, why wouldnt you? If you know them well then its a respectful thing to do.

hugorune

I just started work with a new company so have just doen the 4 weeks notice thing. It was really cathartic being able to walk away from a job I didn’t particularly enjoy knowing that I could walk away and not have to deal with some of the tossers I worked with again and leave them to finish off the really shit project I was working on. It’s especially good to give your least favourite co-workers numbers out to your most anoying suppliers/sub-contractors as the best point of contact 🙂

I told them all just to see what their reactions would be – a good mix of shock, appathy and joy.

uplink
    Free Member

Is telling your peers at work youve handed in your notice a bad idea?

Would you think less of someone if they didn’t?

Depends really,
    If you harbour a desire to go back & massacre the workforce, not saying anything & just leaving would be a good little anecdote to recall for one of the survivors on the 10 o’clock news or CNN.

“No, no, he was just a normal fella that kept himself to himself & never bothered anyone. Thinking back though, he did just leave one day for no reason, without saying a word to anyone, when our manager told us he’d handed his notice in some time ago, we just had him down as being a bit weird. Next time we saw him, he was on the roof dressed in a ghillie suit, taking pot shots at anything that moved”[/b]

So yeah, cover all your bases & keep schtum

FuzzyWuzzy

Can’t really see a downside to telling people, whether you like them or not

pastcaring
    Free Member

uplink, fantastic post. i’m just off to the roof…

op, burning bridges can come back and bite you on the arse. i no from experience…

robbo1234biking

Last job I left management were quite keen for me to keep it secret as I think they were hoping to get me to change their mind. Then I was off ill for the last 3 days so didnt have to go through all the fake goodbyes anyway. Still go out for curries with the guys I got on with

DT78
    Free Member

Depends on whether you are going to be working in the same industry / location. It’s amazing how often you come across people, and as above it’s really not a good idea to leave any job on bad terms.

You never know, one day you may turn up for an interview and one of your old peers is on the recruitment panel. True story 🙂

(Luckily I left on good terms)

crazy-legs

Where I used to work, leaving without telling anyone usually meant you’d been pushed. The dead give-away was when a letter came down from management informing all staff that due to “personal reasons” John was no longer employed…

Everyone who did leave was so delighted they’d managed to get out they lost no time in telling everyone. And then gloating about it for the final 2 weeks. 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

The last time i left somewhere, i didn’t tell anyone until my last day. During the 4 weeks i restructured my dept changed everyones contract hours, as they would of refused if they knew i was leaving.

There was quite a lot of why didn’t you say anything etc..when i did go, but i had a few beers with the guys i got on with that night.

U31
    Free Member

Say nowt. Working for a company buys my skills and time only. Im not there to get along with or like / dislike anybody.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stop fretting and enjoy it.

AlexSimon

I would ask your line manager first. It may be news they want to time correctly. Best not to burn bridges.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

My contract includes 3 month notice period, and as someone has said above it would be good to see some faces being told that I’m off. Besides, would want to organise the mother of all leaving parties, big advantage of being a nurse!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Funny you ask this I was going to start a similar topic handed my notice in yesterday (my first graduate job).

I’ve liked handing my notice in to playing Jenga, the more dependant people are on you the lower down the tower you pick you piece!

Feels so nice seeing my project list and thinking aah don’t have to loose sleep over those projects any more!

messiah
    Free Member

Handed in my notice on Monday. One Month to work and then off down the road for twice the pay and none of the Bullsh!t… really looking forward to a new start and new challanges without the hypocritical talk of “honesty and integrity” from the management. Bunch of liars.

But none of this I shall voice to them as who knows what the future holds… maybe I will back in a few years… but only if the money and terms are right 🙂

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Compose a heartfelt letter in which you express all of your hopes and fears, then wrap it around a brick and throw it through the office window.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Handing in notice’ is closed to new replies.