Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Handbuilt road wheels
  • glenp
    Free Member

A few questions which I hope someone might be able to provide some help with:

I'm going to go back to handbuilt wheels on the road bike, because the Ultegras I have are a bloody pain when they fail, and they're too stiff for the crappy roads around here anyway.

Dave Hinde is a common suggestion for source at reasonable cost – I'm thinking Ultegra hubs and Open Pro CD with regular db spokes. That's £217, which sound like a good price to me.

The questions:
    Are the CD versions of the rims worth paying extra for?
    Similarly should I down-grade to 105 or lower on the hubs?
    Anyone got direct experience of Dave Hinde handbuilts?
    Any other suggestions for supplier?

Finally, anyone got a bargain source for Vittoria Open Paves?

clubber
    Free Member

Sorry, I'm not going to comment on anything beyond Dave Hinde. Simply do not use them. Google/search on here for why.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ditto the above,

CD has 2 benifits, its supposed to be harder than the underlying aluminium so more wear resistant, and should preven't stress cracking arround nipples etc. Never tried them with V's only ever with disks though so can't really comment. They're not invincible though, just a little longer lived.

Are you selling the ultegra's?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Are the CD versions of the rims worth paying extra for?
    Similarly should I down-grade to 105 or lower on the hubs?

IMO no.
    105/ultegra always used to have the same sealing, on that basis I would say "yes".

Starrman28
    Free Member

So who is the best for hand built wheels these days then? I remember getting a set of 217's by a guy called Jeremy Duke who used to advertise in MBUK, his wheels were ace.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Try your lbs, they might have a decent wheel builder, or ask around a local club, someone should know one.
    Unless you're in the Nottingham area, then I might know of a man…

Macavity
    Free Member

Which rims ? don't worry the pothole will not care what the rim is or how expensive it was it will just put a dent in it.
    Build the wheels your self.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Google for Harry Rowland. Makes amazing wheels that always get good reviews in the mags
    I been hammering a set of his wheels for the last few years and they have given me no trouble.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

If you are anywhere near Cheltenham go into Cheltenham Cycles will build you ACE wheels.01242 255414.

headfirst
    Free Member

Paul Hewitt, nr Preston, is popular up North.

jamesb
    Free Member

Take a look at Hope Hoops 700c—-Hope Pro2 on Mavic Open Pros, great wheesl, fast , stay true, not truly completely handbuilt I think but a very good wheel overall; feel as fast almost as my best Easton Ea 90 SL set

Duc
    Free Member

http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk always seem top get good reviews

Pete Mathews also pretty good and uses his own desing rims too

glenp
    Free Member

Thanks for the wise words, I'll shop around where suggested. Price does come into it – in the past I have had great results buying inexpensive (Merlin for example for mtb wheels) and then going over each wheel de-stressing and re-tensioning. In that sense the ultimate build probably could be forgone in favour of price.

I was going on the assumption that if durable and supple are the priorities then Open Pros would be the rim to choose. I wouldn't have Hope hubs though – I like Shimano hubs and I couldn't live with the freewheel noise.

I will be selling the Ultegras – only 2000 miles on them. I've broken a spoke on the back (no other damage) – I will get it properly repaired, or make me an offer as they are!

njee20
    Free Member

I've got some Ultegra hubs on Mavic CD rims (not Open Pros), they're a good number of years old, but are in good nick still, and have been cluttering my garage for far too long, very smooth bearings. Yours for £70 if that's of interest, I can even drop them off to you!

If you're going new I wouldn't bother with CD, the brakes wear through the finish, so it looks good when new and when worn, but really crap for the period in the middle!

oldgit
    Free Member

Bike Bits UK were good for Pavés.

For general road duties you can't go wrong with 105/Ultegra laced to Open Pros.

glenp
    Free Member

Cheers njee20. I have put my old Explosif back to work (in road guise with 25mm slicks, flipped stem, flat bar and retro retro bar ends) for a few days whilst I decide what to do. What with summer hols, festivals and the tax man looming I may well take you up on that, but I'll drag the decision out a bit an see if I can reward myself with spanky new.

ourmaninthenorth

I'm currently running some Ambrosio rims (can't remember which – similar level to Open Pro) on 105s. Excellent.

Open Pros are good, but I commute year round on these wheels, and so I like something with a wear indicator.

My wheelbuilder is friend who runs a small online wheebuilding business – happy to give you his details if you want a quote.

Pavés – try highonbikes.com. Got my last set from there. Always had good service from them.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Wheelsmith get rave reviews over on the bikeradar roadie forums.

glenp
    Free Member

Trouble is, as far as I can make out, wheelsmith are about 50% more expensive. Not saying that the quality isn't worth paying for, but I am capable and prepared to give new wheels the once-over, relieving stress and re-tensioning.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Handbuilt road wheels’ is closed to new replies.