Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hampshire Downs conditions..?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m looking at putting a ~100km off road route together taking in areas including Inkpen Hill & Watership Down. I haven’t ridden around that area in the winter. Is it more or less ridable at this time of year? I don’t mind mud so long as I can keep riding through it! Cheers.

cinnamon_girl

I once had to be helped with lifting my bike out of the mud on Combe Gibbet in Winter! All of the ridge should be avoided. As regards Watership Down (one of my favourite areas), bear in mind that MX’ers use the section between the A343 Ashmansworth and the A34. The bit between the beech wood and the A34 can be lethal. Past the underpass will be fine up to White Hill.

May I suggest the area South of Combe Gibbet? It holds up really well in Winter, ie Vernham Dean. Loads of rights of way in the area. Check out this link:

http://www.testvalley.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=9586

If you look at the ones starting from Vernham Dean, you should be able to incorporate these in your mega-ride. I know this area really well so if you need any more info, e-mail in profile. 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks Elaine. I’ve got some routes from a book that I’m currently plotting into Tracklogs. I’ll also plot those you’ve linked & see if I can create a nice big loop whilst avoiding the crappy bits. Cheers!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

As C_G said and AVOID Collingbourne Woods. It will be horrible this time of year.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Ok thanks. Is Combe Hill ok or should I stick south of that?

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome! Have some gpx’s if those would be any good?

I’ll have a look at the map anyway.

Edit: Mulletus – I didn’t think Mamils ventured into Collingbourne Woods. 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

GPX would be most helpful, thanks!

brassneck

Combe ridge is just fine, the woods are a mess and riding them this time of year just spoils them for the summer. You will want mud tyres though, it’s not exactly drought conditions .. best hope is for a good hard frost, it’ll be great then.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yep understood, I’ll map around anything that looks potentially boggy. Mud tyres? Never heard of ’em 🙂

cinnamon_girl

gpx’s sent Mark. Just thought of another one for you so will plot that now!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Most kind, thanks! Just looking at them now…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just for thread completeness, I did a 67 mile route yesterday, gps here…

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64579022

Conditions varied from nicely rideable on the higher stuff to impassable in other places. Some of the trails certainly suffer from 4×4 “erosion” for sure. Hard work on the singlespeed, 9 hours of mud plugging, but all good fun.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sweet! Beautiful part of the country, love being down there.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I always take pics when I ride somewhere new, here are this lot…

linky

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hampshire Downs conditions..?’ is closed to new replies.