Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hamburg/G20
  • tails
    Free Member

Couple of questions; I’m going on a stag party this weekend to Hamburg, this unfortunately clashes with the G20 which attracts protests. I’ve never visited Hamburg or been to a city that’s hosted a G20.

Does anyone know if the protests will be easy to avoid? The main one appears to be on Thursday for the arrival of trump, putin etc.

I imagine banks might well be boarded up but I assume bars/cafes/touristy things etc will be open.

Any tips on the city in general?

Sorry this is not a political thread I know some of you were frothing at the mouth to get started!! 😆

allan23
    Free Member

Only idea I have is a friend who lives in Hamburg posting photos and updates about shops being boarded up and the town getting ready for protests.

Some protests have been stopped which is creating more anger as it’s a consitutional right to protest.

There’s heavy police presence and there have been a few kick offs already. He did advise carrying ID if you’re a foreign visitor. There’s likely to be check points and you will avoid trouble having the ID.

Good luck on the stag do, it could be all OK but the build up looks to be one of those things that could get nasty very quickly.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice place around the docks, if the weather stays nice it’ll be rocking with locals and no where near the G20.

nickjb
    Free Member

Can’t help specifically but I’ve been to few cities while there have been protests and even riots on and you could be a couple of streets away and not even notice

tails
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, weather looks crap so I’ll blame the best man but on the plus side they are dressing the groom as a unicorn. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looks rather lively at the moment….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40526169

spennyy
    Free Member

He did advise carrying ID if you’re a foreign visitor. There’s likely to be check points and you will avoid trouble having the ID.

My missus is German and tells me in Germany you have to carry id at all times anyway. I would imagine on a stag do your gonna be spending most of your time in the reeperbahn and I’d expect the protests to be in the centre tho it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong.

spennyy
    Free Member

Scratch that. From the stuff friends in Hamburg are sending the missus it looks like a war zone. Riots and cars being torched all over the shop.

allan23
    Free Member

Scratch that. From the stuff friends in Hamburg are sending the missus it looks like a war zone. Riots and cars being torched all over the shop.

Friend went out on the pretence of checking the resaurant he works at as the owner didn’t board it up.

He’s filmed some of it but hurt himself getting out of the way of one of the Police charges. Not seriously but enough that he’s staying in and hoping the restauarant is still there after the weekend.

Don’t know how contained it is but he’s said there’s burning cars and it looks like a warzone as well.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If the videos a friend of mine shared on facebook are real, I’d be avoiding Hamburg right now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hamburg/G20’ is closed to new replies.