Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Halfords tyre patches
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Anyone used these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&productId=164020&categoryId=228377&langId=-1
    I have a puncture on my ust tyre and need a fix before Wednesday. I have a halfords near work that have them in stock so I can pick some up tomorrow.
    Do you get glue with them?
    I will try ringing around the local bike shops but I’m not sure they will have proper tubeless repair kits and I don’t have time to order from the web.
    I will put a tube in for tomorrow but I would like to fix it before riding in Wales on Wednesday.

Many thanks
    Andy.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think that’ll do a proper tubeless tyre. Can’t see anything in their stock that would.
    Need a proper ust patch kit or one of those “sew in” type strips for USTs

DezB
    Free Member

Halfords stock Weldtite , so see if they have these in
    http://weldtite.co.uk/products/detail/cycle-tubeless-tyre-outside-repair-kit

Northwind

Can’t see the pic, but if it’s what I think it is, then it’s fine- they sell various kits, including a decent size one that comes with loads of patches and a gigantic tube of vulcanising solution, good value.

Obviously it’s not a tubeless kit, but I’m assuming you’re planning to patch the tyre from the inside? Spot on for that. You can use a tiny wee patch too, since it’s not working very hard.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Yeah I was planning on fixing it from the inside, I was hoping it was a tough piece of rubber or similar And some glue.
    I have been meaning to order a proper tubeless repair kit for nearly a year but complacency got the better of me.
    Not bad though. It’s the first puncture since going proper ust tubeless with no sealant nearly a year ago. I have had 6 punctures (4 rides(massive thorns as hard as nails)) on my other bike in the last 2 weeks and have 14 patches on the tube in total.
    Andy

Northwind

If it’s got a decent sized cut, you’ll need more than a patch to hold it- wee stitch will probably do it, with a patch over that. But if it’s just a small hole or cut that refuses to seal, then it’ll be fine with just the patch. (I usually either use the smallest patches, but even they’re a bit big so more often I cut a bigger one or a sheet down to about 10mm square)

Remember the air pressure will force it on, unlike on a tube where it needs to keep the air in, so it’s actually an easier job.

orangeboy
    Free Member

All I’ve ever done is use normal stick on patches on the inside of tyres
    Maybe with a little stitch if its a big slice

The topeak self adhesive ones have alway worked well
    Although not sold for tubeless use

PaulD
    Free Member

Make sure you clean and degrease the inside of the tyre before patching. I prefer to use vulcanizing solution and old-school patches for my tubes, with 100% success if rigorously applied.

Not tried the sticky worms on a bike tyre, but one was excellent on a car tyre a few years back. Bought the kit in Walmart for U$4.

PaulD

simon1975

The OP’s link is a large normal repair patch which you stick on with vulcanizing solution. I buy them and cut them into lots of normal (or smaller) patches for tube repairs. Not particularly robust but it might do the job on a small hole in a tyre.

onandon
    Free Member

Hafords do patched which you cut to size. I tend to use these so they have a much bigger surface are to spread the load.

I’ve had regular parches fail on bigger cuts – this method has worked great so far( touch wood )

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Hafords do patched which you cut to size. I tend to use these so they have a much bigger surface are to spread the load.

I’ve had regular parches fail on bigger cuts – this method has worked great so far( touch wood )

Go on, have a third shot at it and you might get the right spelling! 😉

andysredmini
    Free Member

I just rung halfords and the patches on the link are only pieces of rubber suitable for inner tubes. and as predicted none of my local bike shops have any tubeless repair kits. The bloke i spoke to on the cycle counter at halfords hadn’t heard of tubeless mtb tires.
    Looks like i will be using an inner tube until i can get a repair kit from the web.

onandon
    Free Member

Go on, have a third shot at it and you might get the right spelling!

LOL 🙂 my fat fingers and rushed posting at work = FAIL!

Northwind

andysredmini – Member

I just rung halfords and the patches on the link are only pieces of rubber suitable for inner tubes. and as predicted none of my local bike shops have any tubeless repair kits. The bloke i spoke to on the cycle counter at halfords hadn’t heard of tubeless mtb tires.
    Looks like i will be using an inner tube until i can get a repair kit from the web.

Seriously, it’ll fix it. Unless it’s a big cut, when it’ll need a stitch and a patch but the tubeless repair kits on the web won’t fix that either.

Nobby

The chap you spoke to is wrong – they do do the tyre patches you linked to and, as already stated above, you need the vulcanising solution to go with them.

Is there any reason you need to ‘patch’ this puncture of yours? Would the little worm things not do?
    If not, try & search out the Velox tubeless patch kit.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Its only a pin hole from a thorn. ill try halfords on the way home from work but the bloke seemed to think it was just a bit of inner-tube rubber.
    I was thinking of just sticking an inner-tube patch over it but didn’t want to make a mess of the inside of the tire if it wasn’t going to stick properly just for the sake of waiting a few days and using a tube in the meantime.

andysredmini
    Free Member

yeah the little worm things would be my first choice but i cant find any locally and have left it too lat really to order any from the web for using it tomorrow.
    will the vulcanising solution from a normal puncture kit work if the halfords tire patches are the right thing?

jamj1974

Try Decathlon that’s where I got my Hutchinson repair kit (works with all UST) types.

MarkN
    Free Member

I have used standard patches and vulcanising solution for years to fix tubeless tyres. More that just a thorn hole typically a small gash.. Works a treat IME.

Just do not bother with the Halfords leeches. If they do work they seem to have a very short lifespan on an inner tube

PaulD
    Free Member

As Mark says…forget any self-adhesive patches….the devil’s spawn.

PaulD

andysredmini
    Free Member

My limited experience with them is that they just end up sliming there way to a different place on the tube after a few rides, exposing the original hole leaving you thinking you have another puncture. Great for a quick get home/ keep you going fix though.

I have managed to get a proper repair kit now from a local bike shop that my sister told me about that i didn’t know existed. Had about a 20 min conversation about general bike stuff with a nice bloke who owns the place too.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Halfords tyre patches’ is closed to new replies.