Home Forums Bike Forum Gxp bottom bracket installation issues

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gxp bottom bracket installation issues
  • stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Hello. I am trying to swap my gxp bb and chainset over from my 2011 stumpjumper to my 2014 turner burner.

When I tighten the cranks up properly, the cranks will not rotate freely. They are both 73 mm wide bb shells, and thought it would be a straight swap.

Any ideas? I’m stumped

timba
    Free Member

Will it go back on the 2011 bike without a problem?

If not something has moved / been lost

If it does, has the 2014 BB been faced / threaded (assuming threaded) accurately?

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

Timba that is a good idea, I will try that. It is an fsr.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

The turner frame is second hand, and has been built up before. I will have a look at the seating faces for the bb cups though , there are no guarantees that the guy had the bike running right

neil29679
    Free Member

Have u lost the plastic washer/spacer thing that stops the crank crushing the bearings. Happened to me before

neil29679
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

The part on the left

peepingtom
    Free Member

I also was going to suggest that part , ive installed a new bb before and that parts was left on the crank from the old bb ‘didn’t notice’ so the crank was nipping up to tight , leaving it off would have the same effect .

robj20
    Free Member

Im pretty sure you cant crush the bearings with GXP, the whole point of GXP is that it clamps onto the inner race of the non drive side bearing, there is no way to crush the bearings unless you have the spacers wrong for the frame.

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

No I have that spacer/seal thing on the non drive side.

I have just tried the setup back on the old frame, and it is binding on there too. I think I must of damaged the bb somehow when installing it?

Anyway, I will buy a new bb in the morning and try again

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gxp bottom bracket installation issues’ is closed to new replies.