Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GXP BB replacement
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

anyone managed to replace the bearings on a GXP BB?
    I would guess that they are meant to be replaced as a unit but Shimano say that about they’res and that isn’t true. Any one done a GXP?

mattsccm
    Free Member
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Come on. Surely I am not the only one to have come up aginst these mechanical abortions.

muggomagic

That adapter would probably work. Hope do something similar for their BBs
    Why not just buy a replacement sram GXP BB though?

riddoch

Yes, but I ended up carrying on buying gxp bottom brackets every 6 months on one bike and on the other changing the chainset.

riddoch

It looks a bit like the hope one that’s about a £9. They had an installation video on their site a few years ago.

welshfarmer

I have swapped bearings in the drive side. They are common off the peg size. Not tried the non-drive side yet but have found a source. No reason to beleive it would not be a straight swap though. Just remove the circlip, press out, press new one in, replace circlip, job done.

I can’t remember the exact sizes at the mo but the link below “could” be the bearings needed

Non-drive side

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p20000419/ENDURO+MR22372RS-E+Sealed+Flanged+Extended+Inner+Deep+Groove+Bearing+22x37x7/10mm/product_info.html

Drive side (can’t remember if it was 24 or 25mm internal dia so either)

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p20000200/ENDURO+68052RSMAX+Rubber+Sealed+Max+Type+Deep+Groove+Bearing+25x37x7mm/product_info.html

or

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p152853/ENDURO+MR2437LLU+Rubber+Sealed+Deep+Groove+Ball+Bearing+24x37x7mm+inc+2+Nylos+Rings/product_info.html

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’ve changed the bearings in my old gxp 3 times. I wouldn’t do it again though as the cheap hollowtech 2 BB I replaced it with has out lasted it 3 fold.

andyrm
    Free Member

Yup – the Brightline one works perfectly – just fitted one myself with my X01 cranks in an Shimano BB. Well worth it!

40mpg

The Hope one will only work with a Hope BB, as Hope don’t use the top hat arrangement.

I used to replace just the bearings in Shimano BB’s but a couple of years ago they changed the bearing width to a narrower, non-standard one to accomnmodate wider seals.

Your widget above looks good – I think I’ve got some spare bearings and a knackered GXP so I might get one of those and see what fits, as my last GXP only lasted 3 months 🙂

AndyRM – did you have to remove the top hat?

Conan257
    Free Member

Adviser: I’ve not clicked any links or read any posts…

I got some GXP cranks a short while back and had a similar issue, no pennies at the time for a decent BB so I bought one of the £5 adapters.

They do work, sort of. Sometimes the crank spins inside the adapter (rather than the BB bearings spinning), and as such incurs friction making pedalling a bit more laboured.

I bit the bullet, bought a hope BB with the GXP adaptor. Much better and will almost certainly last me a lot longer.

I have a feeling, as the GXP and HT2 crank-tightening system puts different loads on their BB’s, that a GXP crank correctly tightened will kill an HT2 BB.

ThePinkster

Thanks for the link to that Brightline shim – been looking for something like that for a while.

almightydutch
    Free Member

When a new GXP BB is £20 from Halfords I replaced it all rather than trying to replace the bearings alone.

Northwind

Conan257 – Member

I have a feeling, as the GXP and HT2 crank-tightening system puts different loads on their BB’s, that a GXP crank correctly tightened will kill an HT2 BB.

A GXP crank correctly tightened should perfectly preload a Shimano BB. But getting it all right might be easier said than done.

I’ve dealt with this problem by deciding never to buy a shitey GXP crankset ever again.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I’m agreeing with the last sentence above but its a bit late now. I have a perfectly good (of course that relative) XT BB that maybe worth a try with one of those thingies.
    Common sense says buy something that uses normal industry standard bearing as they are cheaper and better quality if sourced correctly . Ta people

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well 2 minutes saw the shagged bearings out of a HT 11 BB. Off to the bearing factors tomorrow.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GXP BB replacement’ is closed to new replies.