Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Gun and roses 1987ish – bands you missed out on because you couldn't be bothered
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

A very long time ago I used to have a bootleg of guns and roses live at Nottingham ‘rock city’. Does any one have a live recording of them at around this time? I was meant to go to that gig, but for some reason I stayed at home and let my mates go. Duh!!
    What band do you wish you’d actually gone and seen but couldn’t be arsed?

johndoh
    Free Member

Motorhead

Live Aid (cheating I know)

Nik Kershaw

kayak23

Stone Roses, The Ramones.

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly not Guns n Roses. (Or Nik Kershaw 😆 )

White Stripes, Brighton Concorde2. Not cos I couldn’t be arsed, just didn’t know they were playing.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Queen – went climbing instead – regret it to this day.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

saw GNR when they supported the Mission, weird but true. Very Hanoi rocks.
    saw Nirvana at the Mayfair in Newcastle on Nevermind tour.
    saw Stevie Ray Vaughan at the hammersmith odean.

Missed Thin Lizzy on the Thunder and Lightening tour cos I was more interested in getting into my girlfriends knickers of the time. lol. I dont know, priorities, tsk. 😉

I wish I’d seen Journey with Steve Perry singing.

RustySpanner

Zappa’s last UK gig.
    Dad offered to help out with the train fare to London, but didn’t go. 🙁

Blyth Power before they went all folk.
    Genuinely gutted about that one – was only a kid and parents were a bit worried about the amount of festivals/travelling we were doing after the adverse media coverage.

Cougar

Queen – went climbing instead – regret it to this day.

Yeah, I was going to say Queen.

Got tickets to Sonisphere when Queen were headlining with that Lambert bloke, and they bloody cancelled the gig. I think I’m just destined not to see them.

yossarian
    Free Member

the buzzcocks – decided to stay in the pub

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Load of mates went to see Michael Jackson (back when he had just released Bad). He was basically touring that album and playing Thriller. Wished I’d gone. He hadn’t quite disappeared into a world of weirdness yet.

Northwind

More recent but I didn’t go and see Muse play the Venue in Edinburgh because (despite never having heard them) I thought they sounded like Radiohead. Went to the aftershow party though, in the club upstairs. They played a load of Muse, turned out they were brilliant, ended up seeing them about 30 times since. Ah well.

Edit- wait, that wasn’t recent at all, it was 15 years ago! I have become old 🙁

Kryton57

GnR in Milton Keynes – just missed out on a ticket. Saw the latest version in London though 2 years ago.

rocketman
    Free Member

New Order in some random niche night club on the Hagley Road in B’ham.

Waited til after midnight with a very bored gf and they still hadn’t turned up so we pushed off. Mate stayed & said they came on at about 1am played a handful of incoherent tunes and cleared off

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I might not have got to have seen Nik Kershaw but I did see Queen – Maine Road, circa ’86 I reckon (without Googling). Status Quo and Beluois Some supporting.

mrmoofo

The Jam,
    Nottingham Uni ’81

Didn’t have the three quid … even though my flatmates would have leant it to me ….

Nick Kershaw – I saw him ! Free tickets (just to help the credibility issues), you missed nothing

Joy Division – The Sandpiper , Nottingham 79 ish. Arrived back from a home visit too late to go. My mate summed it up as “he danced a bit weirdly”

bigbadbob
    Free Member

U2 at Milton Keynes – went on holiday instead. Live Aid the week before or after the U2 gig – went on a different holiday. The Beat at Tiffanys in Leeds. The Cult on the Love tour.

deadlydarcy – I saw MJ on the Bad tour in Leeds, the best bit was when the band played a Prince song when MJ had a wee rest at half time, and all the MJ fans were wondering what MJ album this song was from and we were singing along with the band, so funny. MJ was crap. Kim Wilde was great too as support.

Wish I had seen The Who in Leeds but not sure I was born then…

porter_jamie

rage against the machine and pantera at rock city. i couldnt be bothered. idiot.

RustySpanner

Status Quo and Beluois Some supporting.

My first gig ever was Quo at Manchester Apollo in 1978.
    Great band, great gig.

Really.

*Run’s off to find ‘Quo’ on vinyl. Boogies, very gently, to ‘Backwater’.*

mindmap3
    Free Member

Metallica’s surprise show at Download in ’03 – it was hot and I was too lazy to walk over to the second stage. I sat through Disturbed instead!

The worst bit was the other half kept saying lets go over there etc…and Corry Taylor saying to the crowd that he knew something we didn’t know. Balls.

Also missed Rage Against the Machine at Reading before they split…

edlong
    Free Member

Adam Ant, a couple of months ago. Found out about it the week after. Gutted.

Northwind

mindmap3 – Member

Also missed Rage Against the Machine at Reading before they split…

If it’s any consolation, we went and saw them and wished we didn’t, talk about going through the motions 🙁 Never really been able to take them seriously since.

bigyinn
    Free Member

RATM would have liked to have seen, never really paid much attention to them at the time for some odd reason.
    Nirvana at Glasgow QM, could have, but didn’t bother. Regret that one.

nbt

1991, wanted to go to a gig at a tiny venue in Bradford. Had picked up the band’s first album a couple of year previously and quite liked it, they were now touring the second album. £3 a ticket or something like that – bugger all, basically

Friend I was due to go with called at teatime and cried off citing “too much work to do – essays due in tomorrow yadda yadda yadda”. Not wanting to look like billy no mates I didn’t go alone.

the following week the band (Extreme) released the first single from the Album (More than Words) and it went to number 2 in the charts. Next time they came to bradford the gig was in St George’s Hall and tickets were £15 each. I was not happy.

edlong
    Free Member

nbt

[pedant] Get the Funk Out was the first single released from the album, More than Words was the second[/pedant]

EDIT: When you say “tiny venue”, would that have been Rio’s perchance?

edlong
    Free Member

I’ve got a near miss – I didn’t go to Leeds Festival 2012 (or was it 2011? Anyway…)

Spent about six months humming a hahhing about going / not going.

In favour of going: Jane’s Addiction headlining the second stage

Against: Wasn’t really interested in any of the other bands playing, plus it’s August bank holiday so potentially a long weekend in the Lakes riding mountain bikes, walking and drinking ale.

In the end, went to the Lakes, had a great time.

Looked at NME a few days later, thought I’d better have a look, expected reviews saying they’d played two and a half hours, loads of rare tracks, best gig they’ve done since ’91 etc. Reality: Singer lost his voice, set cancelled.

Phew!

nbt

I stand corrected.

Not rio’s, struggling to remember the name. was behind the alhambra. It’s a wetherspoons now I think. I saw some random thrash bands there when I was 17, too, Xentrix were “headlining” and this other band were filmning a video. The venue held about 300 and had a balcony that was officially closed but you could usually egt up there

edit: queen’s hall!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Couldn’t be arsed going to see NIrvana at Edwards No.8 in Brum (’89 I think). A free ticket and a lift right from my front door. Idiot.

Saw GnR at Donington in ’88 – when a couple of the crowd died. My first ever gig,

johndoh
    Free Member

I tried to see Nirvana – he attempted suicide and it was cancelled.

Got tickets for the rescheduled gig – he was successful that time…

Bimbler
    Free Member

Back to G’n’R could have gone to their first (secret) show in London for free. I don’t think they’d released any material yet but I was sort of “in” with some people at Shades record shop in that Soho in that London town, and they invited me along. Refused on the grounds that they weren’t metal enough, not sure if I regret it or not.

kayak23

The Wedding Present, quite recently played in my home town, just the wrong side of CBA’sed, and the same with New Model Army a few months previously.

Seen NMA before in 1989 but not the Wedding Present.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh, The Clash busking in the centre of York before a gig in the city – my brother had heard about it and dashed over to see it (we were both studying at the college at the time) but ICBA

ads678

Not missing a gig, but back in about 1999 I used to work at premier percussion in Leicester, and built the Ocean Colour Scene drummers new kit. He was coming in to pick it up personally and as a fan of OCS and drummer myself i was quite excited. Was a bit bored on the day though and went off to the bog with the paper. Half an hour later he’d been and gone, and had signed a drum skin for my mate!!

edlong
    Free Member

I think I was at that gig! Certainly got dragged to a Xentrix gig in Bradford that ticks all those boxes.

Did they do a strange and thrashy version of the “Ghostbusters” theme?

Mr_C
    Free Member

I was at the GnR Rock City gig mentioned by the OP, though I actually went to see the support – Faster Pussycat. If you want to know what the next big thing is going to be then I’m obviously not the man to ask.

Northwind

Mr_C – Member

If you want to know what the next big thing is going to be then I’m obviously not the man to ask.

I saw Coldplay on a dual-headliner with Terris in Edinburgh, in front of about 200 people. Declared Coldplay were going nowhere but Terris would be massive. If you’re going to be wrong, you might as well be Wrong.

nbt

they released that as a single!

Oh the internet is wonderful

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/xentrix/1989/queens-hall-bradford-england-2bd33cbe.html

So Xentrix were supporting and Sabbat were headliners? Not sure about that one.

dingabell
    Free Member

Queen at Wembley Stadium. When my brother asked me if I wanted to go I just thought “do you know what….I’m really not bothered”. Then it was on tv and I thought “do you know what….I’m a total tool for missing that”. I think INXS supported them and they went down like a lead balloon. A few years later they headlined Wembley themselves.

ocrider

Friday night, Glastonbury 1990. Not so much couldn’t be bothered, but not remotely well-prepared enough for the occasion. We managed to get the car parked, found a pitch in the Green field and procured various festival enhancers. It then took us about 2 1/2 hours to get to the Pyramid stage being stoned Glasto virgins and witnessed the very last note of the Happy Monday’s set. Which was the last act of the evening.
    Never mind, we did succeed seeing the Ozrics playing on a trailer that night.

Couldn’t be bothered to go and see Mudhoney at the Astoria in dec 1989, because I’d seen them the previous time round in the Fulham Greyhound, albeit without Nirvana supporting them.

CountZero

This band were playing Chippenham Town Hall, had a single out, which sounded interesting. G/F wasn’t fussed so didn’t go. It was Roxy Music, touring Virginia Plain and the first album… 🙁
    Later, The Smiths played Golddiggers club in Chippenham, as a tour warm-up; I didn’t go, neither did I go to see King Crimson at the same venue.
    What an arse’ole! 😐

killwillforchips
    Free Member

Run DMC & beastie boyz concert in Birmingham in 1987.

My mum wouldn’t let me go. Everyone else went from our school.

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Gun and roses 1987ish – bands you missed out on because you couldn't be bothered’ is closed to new replies.