Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Guitarists of stw..garage find, what's it worth?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Digging around my folks garage for some old guitar bits at the weekend and stumbled across an old laney head that hasn’t been used in years and is no longer working. Was going to bin it, but a quick Google tells me it’s actually quite desirable.

It’s an old laney supergroup series mk1 100 watt head from around 1970. It’s really scruffy and would need a complete overall including valves that will probably cost around 2-300 quid.

Only one I can find online was on sale for 1500 quid though.. So maybe worth the outlay

Anyone know about these things, or able to recommend a site that may? Ta

brassneck

It’s a tricky one. Often to get it back to working properly involves replacing bits that purists would want to remain ‘as was’ .. but things like caps & pots & transformers just don’t last (or go pop when you switch it on for the first time in a while). Overhauling might give you an excellent amp (think these were hand wired, pretty much the same or possibly better quality componentry than Marshall Plexis that are somewhat revered) but lose some value.

I think I’d be inclined to restore electrically if I was going to use it but keep the shabby exterior (I like that) but I’d probably sell as is.
    .. may be your best bet?

.. but Ebay often shows true value – just get your reserve & shipping right.

AdamT

I have no idea, but the good folks at thefretboard.co.uk would. Try the amp section of the forum.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Cheers folks.. Just registered with fret board actually.

Given I’m just starting up playing again after 20 years I was just planning on using my old peavey bandit.. I think a 100w head probably overkill for my flat!

Any idea of an eBay reserve? As I said it looks like a piece of old junk so I’d not be adverse to putting it on without one. Then again if it’s worth something that may be daft.

And.. I’d probably just keep it than sell for peanuts.. As one of those projects I will never ever get round to!

AdamT

Lol, I still have a 1989 bandit. I don’t gig any more, so just use my PC with Guitar Rig or Amplitube.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The bandit was awesome.. Perfect for my Hall of residence room.. Although rest of block may not agree..

brassneck

Don’t let it go for nothing. An old A/B amp can always be resurrected to something special, whether or not it has ‘market’ value .. I remember those old MESIA by Zoom lawsuit amps that were really damn good as they were built with quality components but they don’t sell for a whole lot compared to a real Boogie.

Just had a browse to try and give you an idea.. one old Marshall 50W head I used to have now listing at £3.5K 😯 – I never thought it was all that compared to my Dad’s Fender Super Reverb either… I wouldn’t go below £500 as a reserve assuming its working and sounds clean (not too many whistles pops and clicks .. ideally none with a good guitar plugged in on humbucking)

There is soemthing to be said for selling and buying a decent modeller / effects for the Peavey, if it gets you playing more. My tiny Vox modeller sounds better than my 64 AC30 as an AC30 till its at neighbour dispute volume…

EDIT: Wasn’t this the Tony Iommi amp? I’d lean on that in any advert

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well of I can get it working for a couple of hundred sounds like it may be worth it. The folks at fretboard seem to think it’s great!

My peavey was 80*w as I remember! So probably far to noisy for my neighbours also! Bought myself a black star fly 3 to practice with in the meantime.

Looking online and lts a a bit like bikes…technology has moved on a fair bit (not The guitars obviously!) I still have. A Roland vs 800 multi track. Its big selling feature was some not to impressive effects…and a zip drive! All for the princely some of a grand. Which as I remember was my entire student loan..

I remember justifying it by reminding myself that it would be paid back in full after our first album…

CountZero

As I said it looks like a piece of old junk so I’d not be adverse to putting it on without one. Then again if it’s worth something that may be daft.

Over the many years I’ve been going to gigs, I’ve seen plenty of amps and instruments that look like they’d be rejected by a back-street junk shop, but that’s just years of hard use giving ‘patination’, so as long as the really important bits, the ones that create the noise are all present and correct, and functional without any unpleasant noises that shouldn’t be there, then it must be worth considering getting it serviced and using it for its intended purpose; making lots of proper noise!
    See if a set of pots that go up to 11 can be installed at the same time… 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists of stw..garage find, what's it worth?’ is closed to new replies.