Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Guide R Brakes on a shred sled
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi will try to use as many irritating phrases as possible. About to pull the trigger on new gnarpoon DH rig from Germany and wondering if I should immediately swap out the guide r brakes in my cockpit , probably for zee? If I don’t will I die?

loving the new colorway !

BoardinBob

Guide R on my Spesh Enduro. Ridiculously powerful. They are 4 pot brakes. I’d say they’re better than my Saints on my DH bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ta do you need to bleed them often? Standard pads ? No squealing ?

BoardinBob

howsyourdad1 – Member – Quote
    Ta do you need to bleed them often? Standard pads ? No squealing ?

8 months old, never bled. Mix of standard pads, Uberbike and Superstar with no squealing at all.

big_scot_nanny

Mine squeal like a bastard until warmed up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Psikkk.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had Guide R’s on my Demo, but have just swapped them for Guide RSC’s because they have a slightly nicer lever feel. The R’s were good though and led to me buying RSC’s for my trail bike.

solamanda
    Free Member

They’re great brakes. Mine came out of the factory with a poor bleed and felt much better after I bleed them. They will need more TLC than shimano but IMHO they perform better than Saints.

If I were buying again I’d consider the RS version for a better quality lever but R does the job fine.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ta all

funkweasel
    Free Member

I’m just thinking about bleeding my rear, after 12 months. Hasn’t been ridden that much for about three of those… so probably every 9 months, maybe. Have bene faultless, really. I went for the RS because the lever feels a bit nicer.

matt_outandabout

surroundedbyhills was bemoaning his were suddenly not all that great this week – and was thinking of swapping out.

perhaps if I shout his username….

surroundedbyhills
    surroundedbyhills
    surroundedbyhills

cokie

I’ve got a set of the RS version on my Whyte. Great brakes- powerful and lots of modulation. Much better control over the XTs. A year old and gone through a few set of pads, but still feel perfect and consistent.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-guide-brakes-2

My question and other answers…

I changed the pads to Uberbike Sintered, bit noisier in the wet (last night) but quietened down once warmed up. The clearance on the pads is slim, very slim esp compared to Shimano but I do like the power and softer feel (I know this is called modulation but “softer feel” is well, just how they feel!) Interestingly I have shimano slx on my hardtail with a mix of Shimano pads and Uberbike and the noise is ridiculous a HOOOOOOWWWAAALLL!

Guide RS on my Capra and they are great brakes.

Not as well made as Hopes (what are?) but powerful and great modulation

acidchunks

The Guides on my YT Tues have been doing well in the French Alps so far this week.

Brought a pair of Hope M4 tech evos out expecting to have to swap them over but so far I’ve had no issues with the stock brake set.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Standard pads in them?

acidchunks

standard for the first couple of days, the back pair started to look a bit thin so swapped them out for a pair of Gorilla sintered which did just as good a job.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Guide R Brakes on a shred sled’ is closed to new replies.