Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GT – Oi! Who’s been fiddling with the Pie Run??
  • Swello
    Free Member

I was having a rare quiet few hours at work today and the weather was very tempting – so on the spur of the moment, I popped down to GT for a quick blast round the red. Oddly, the Pie Run short cut is pretty much my favourite bit of the red even though it’s really short – I like the change of pace I guess. Either I had suddenly become a better rider in the fortnight since my last visit (highly doubtful) or someone has made the 2 little bits that I always find tricky a lot easier as I breezed past them. Does anyone know if there is some tweaking going on? If there is, can they tweak another few hundred metres on to the end before (the also excellent) Mushroom Pie? 😀

I also noticed that they were working on the rooty step down in Magic Mushroom, where they have also removed the log pile. I liked that rooty bit as well – bah!

druidh
    Free Member

Thanks for the invite 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

There was some fiddling with it last week: http://vc-moulin.blogspot.com/2009/03/night-fairies.html

Swello
    Free Member

Druidh – I thought about it once I was on my way – but it literally was a spur of the moment thing- I went from the idea popping into my head to actually being in the car within 10mins – even retired people need some notice 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Last WED night, thats right, night, we started work on opening up the run in to one of the rootier sections so it could be approached a bit more head on. I think with use and because it hasn’t been dry for months its been so slippy that it was very tricky to ride, especially for a red graded trail. I’m presuming Mr W has gotten it finished as we ran out of time last week or its dried out a bit and thats why its easier. Have a look at http://www.glentresstrailfairies.org for pics of what we may be wrongly claiming as the countries first proper floodlit trailbuilding session. Check out the cakes! Cheers Mrs L.

druidh
    Free Member

Swello – strangely enough, I was working today. Well, after I’d decided to go for a wee spin in the Pentlands and then fecked up a pedal.

Swello
    Free Member

Dougal- just read the blog – that explains it! 🙂 Were you involved yourself?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

http://www.glentresstrailfairies.org/latest?g2_page=2 . More accurate link to the pics of last weeks, ground breaking, session.

Swello
    Free Member

Stevenmenmuir – thanks for the info. The two bits I always found tricky were the left hand corner with the polished roots on an upward slope – and the step down on the tight corner before the thin wooden ramp. The changes were quite subtle (or I wasn’t paying attention!) and I had finished the sections before I even thought about it. GT Red is my default night-ride and I love doing the Pie Run in the dark – I would have had a shock if I’d met the trailfairies 🙂

Keep up the good work – it’s much appreciated and as I say, one of my favourite bits of trail at GT.

rOcKeTdOg

the rooty bit before the log pile has gone? that was the scence of my best ever speed overtake move, i hope it’s still as challenging

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That corner was reshaped so instead of going straight and turning late into the roots you go slightyly to the right and then turn left. A subtle change but should make it a bit but not too much easier. There has been a lot of wear and tear this winter, especially Magic Mushroom so we’ve been concentrating on that recently.

GW
    Free Member

who re-named a small drop a “step down” and a small step a “step up”?

here’s a step-up
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1502773819

and a step down
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/11853/

rOcKeTdOg

cushty

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Trailfairies are out tomorrow finishing of alterations to the Pie Run, anybody wanting to help would be more than welcome, or a simple thank you as you pass will do. The Pie Run was built almost entirely by the TF’s, not a lot of people know that!

ChrisL

By the way, the section of slippy uphill roots on the Pie Run is officially known as “That Bit” – it may even get a little sign added some day, as may other bits like “28 Inches”, “Trail Perfection” and “Dial 9”.

That Bit used to be a bit of a git but I enjoyed the challenge. However the trails at Glentress are intended to be enjoyed by occasional visitors, not just by those who know the trails like the back of their hand and That Bit by and large seemed to ruin the flow of most people who rode it, particularly those who didn’t know it was coming.

Andy Wardman, the MTB ranger who leads the Glentress Trailfairies suggested doing something with a couple of sections of the Pie Run that were not working so well. After a decent discussion amongst the ‘fairies it was decided that more people would enjoy the trail if we made some modifications, particularly to That Bit but also to a couple of other bits.

Once the changes have bedded in a bit more the roots will start to show through a bit and I expect that That Bit will still contain some challenge for most people who ride it. You may have forgotten now but back when the Pie Run was first surfaced most of its roots were covered! They’ll show through once the trail wears in a little.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GT – Oi! Who’s been fiddling with the Pie Run??’ is closed to new replies.