Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Grrrrrr. Bloody martial arts/New Model Army
  • sc-xc

I think so MD. It was all a blur. I had the T&C knot, the NMA and the snake/cross from the acoustic EP cover.

I loved the cottage industries that sprung up then. There was a guy a couple of years later that made a decent living of carving Levellers pendants from spoon handles!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve still got that snake and cross pendant in my drawer! Ah, nostalgia….

tazzymtb

exhibit B

sc-xc

Have you got an old Culture Shock t-shirt you fancy selling? I keep looking on ebay!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I resembled the above! 🙂

sc-xc

Exhibit A

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No i haven’t, all my old gig shirts dissolved through yrs of wear. Only one i have left is my RedSkyCoven ’89 vest…

dogbert
    Free Member

47 posts and not one comment about the OP’s niece…..a Singletrack first?

sc-xc

If that’s the black one with the knot – then I still have that. As well as the Germany only issue of the dogs t-shirt, the aforementioned HWA, and any number of standard tour shirts.

It’s funny what was important back then!

john_drummer
    Free Member

how do. did I hear my name mentioned?

I’m not sure whether I knew B.A.Nana then, and I’m still not sure if I know him now 😯

I used to be in a Bradford band called Seven Dead Astronauts/Americans, often just abbreviated to SDA. We did a few gigs with Pyschosurgeons, and also opened up for UK Subs, Dr & The Medics and, of course, NMA – Bradford University Great Hall, I think it was on the Impurity tour but I could be wrong.

I left the band after a disagreement over whether food or studio time was a better use of what little money I had.

The guy that replaced me in that band was none other than Michael Dean.
    The band later became known as Bomb Circle, but by this point I’d moved across town & completely lost touch with EVERYBODY.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yeah, i always thought i’d never change, now i don’t even recognise that young kid!

tazzymtb

Yeah, i always thought i’d never change,

+ a million

john_drummer
    Free Member

funny how things come back to the beginning though. the bass player in my current band was the sound guy for SDA back in the 80s

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Getting all nostalgic too! I wasn’t a real hardcore fan compared to you up there, but did have a big hand painted thunder and consolation knot on the back of my parka – used a dinner plate to draw the outline!

My mate’s neighbour is a cockney called Al who claims to be one of the original militia, who stood still down the front and never danced at all, until Justin wrote a song just for him to dance to. Ring any bells? He’s now into carp fishing and runs a dog grooming parlour!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

John_Drummer, I’m pretty certain we don’t know each other. I’m a bit of a charlatan TBH, although I saw some great Punk/goth bands 1981-1985, my interest was pretty short lived, around 1985 I moved on (I think I threw in the towel after The Cult ‘Love’ album). The only ‘circulating’ I did was at the 1in12 club approx ’83-’85. The only bands from that era I’ve seen since were Dead Kennedys in 1987ish and The Cramps in 1991ish. It certainly was never a lifestyle, like I presume it was for others on here, for starters I was only 15-18 yo.

BTW John, we’re now friends on Facebook. I spotted you as a friend of Andrew Hudson, who I used to be best mates with when we were about 10yo.

sc-xc

Justin wrote a song just for him to dance to.

Any idea what that song was?

CountZero

sc-xc the goth ladies were far prettier and pale skin in black lace and corsets is soooooo much more appealing than a manky jumper and paraboots

As something of a Suicide Girls fan I wholeheartedly agree. I was always a Sisters Of Mercy/Mission fan back then, so pale and interesting girls in black or white lace ticks a few boxes with me.

sc-xc

As something of a Suicide Girls fan I wholeheartedly agree. I was always a Sisters Of Mercy/Mission fan back then, so pale and interesting girls or the guys from black lace ticks a few boxes with me.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Still does for me – unfortunately those girls were few and far between, although i do remember some real beauties from Cloud9 and The Banshee 🙂

Mostly though, they were, shall we say.. rather plump and ruddy faced….

tazzymtb

we need an “old blokes who used smell of patchouli and/or cider” ride organising with a soundtrack!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

With stick-on mohicans on our helmets! 😆

tazzymtb

LOL

gravity-slave
    Free Member

He didn’t tell me the song although I pushed to find out, even went home and tried to stalk him looking through sleeve notes. He said he was mentioned in them, but something tells me he was going by a suitable alias back then rather than “Al the dog groomer!” No reason not to believe him though.

Might have to dig my parka out and get a shot. I’ve got some logo’d up para boots in the attic.

I too thought I’d never change – and never cut my hair for ‘the man’! Ha!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

On the subject of Goth girls, do any of you recall Anne-Marie from Skeletal Family/Ghost Dance, she was very popular with the Goth blokes back in the day, she lives just up the road from me and still gigging I’ve heard. I used to have a massive crush on her, still do.

tazzymtb

she was lovely, I always had a thing for Anja from Xmal and patricia morrison as well

TheSanityAssassin

First saw NMA in ’84 and bought a silver pendant the following year, which has been worn ever since. Used to see them regularly upto and including the Impurity tour, then kind of got out of the live music scene. I also used to do several tour dates of other bands around that time, without really ‘following’ them too far afield. They included the Mission, the Neph, the Hunters Club and Salvation.

I took my eldest daughter to see NMA at the Academy in Manchester on the Today… tour. She was around 19 at the time and had crammed in masses of concerts all over the country, but had never seen anything like the Army live. The whole venue seemed to morph into one huge single entity and the sight of 3-story pyramids left her gob-smacked!!

tazzymtb

all we need is Picto and Keef and pretty much all the old freaks have turned up on one thread 😀

sc-xc

I took my eldest daughter to see NMA at the Academy in Manchester on the Today… tour. She was around 19 at the time and had crammed in masses of concerts all over the country, but had never seen anything like the Army live.

TheSanityAssassin

Anyone else do the Scunthorpe Baths gig, probably after No Rest charted in ’85? With the venue having being made famous by Jasper Carrott, there was no way I wasn’t going that night!! My hazy recollection is of Hammer & Sickle and Joolz supporting. Joolz (reading poetry) kept getting heckled, so stopped and asked for the shouts to be ‘constructive’. The instant reply of “Flash us yer ferret then…” still makes me smile now. She realised that she was on a loser after that so just continued on.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Braver man than me then – Joolz terrfied me back then!

Picto
    Free Member

Name mentioned? Just like faust here I am.
    Goth Ride you say? Will have to get the niner sprayed in the blackest of black.

tazzymtb

Goth Ride you say? Will have to get the niner sprayed in the blackest of black.

I’ll get some skull buckles for my spd’s 😀

Picto
    Free Member

See them shimmy see them go
    And stuff.

tazzymtb

can we build a pyramid at least 3 high whilst riding, like a mountain bike display team as well all singing the chorus to “I love the world”

Picto
    Free Member

Now the idea is out it would be impolite not to.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Grrrrrr. Bloody martial arts/New Model Army’ is closed to new replies.