Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Grrrr, should have gone to the LBS (possibly the most expensive mechnical yet?)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Buy “shimano olive kit”, “universal kit for all shimano brakes”.

-£8

Doesn’t f****** fit, ruin the hose by repeatedly chopping 1″ off untill you run out of barbs and olives, assuming blindly that you’re just having a bad day mechanicaly.

Buy Shimano Bh90 (or whatver the new stuff is called) hose kit, remove from packageing, install to the lever, get to the calliper and it’s a barbed fitting not the f****** banjo that XT brakes use.

-£25 so far

Breathe………………..

Bought this instead, bargain, and no brakes 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

That looks like a lot of fun to sail…. wish I still lived by the sea…

matt_outandabout

Oooooh, gis a go of your boat mr.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You haven’t inflicted a cut requiring stitches or rubbed mineral oil in your eye.. I don’t see what you you have done wrong.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That looks like a lot of fun to sail

It’s a hoot once it’s planeing in a nice constant wind. But when the wind dissapears and you’re on the end of those racks it seem an awfull long way back into the boat!

Saccades
    Free Member

A little lightweight for a Los Angeles class…

BillOddie

You mean the Shimano Universal (apart from the new stuff but we won’t tell you that) kit?

I may have used one of the universal insert and olive kits on a BH90 hose. I did not die but the brake did weep slightly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I may have used one of the universal insert and olive kits on a BH90 hose. I did not die but the brake did weep slightly.

The last one was fitted with the medium persuader, the face was no longer smooth……

wish I still lived by the sea…

[stalker mode] you live closer than me [/stalker mode]

Jamie
    Free Member

(possibly the most expensive mechnical yet?)

Erm..

-£25 so far

…no.

daftvader
    Free Member

you live closer than me

I’m slightly concerned now 😯

I used to live in essex and could see the sea from my house, now im lucky if I see her once every 3 months 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

er,

tomaso
    Free Member

I found this mildly annoying when it happened to me but I noticed before I hacked and bodged. Total cost £2

Andy

You going to sail it at Burghfield? Used to be a good fleet of Blazes there 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You going to sail it at Burghfield? Used to be a good fleet of Blazes there

Yup, still is. Brakes FUBAR’d Sunday, daydreamed Monday, phoned the previous owner Thursday, organized a space in the Boat park Saturday morning, bought it in the afternoon, joined the club and was sailing Sunday morning!

Me? Impulsive?

matt_outandabout

Meh, this is further down from the seat….I tried more than a few times and it terrified me unless perfect conditions…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Someone suggested an IC/AC, quite why I’ve no idea, how on earth do you gybe one?

rickon
    Free Member

£25? I totalled a hub hammering a bearing into it that was a bit too big. A new hub. Awesome.

matt_outandabout

To gybe an IC, you stand up and run round the back. Seriously…

wordnumb
    Free Member

LBS = local boat shop then.

jekkyl

You need a fat bike for that so you can beach the boat and then ride off.

Andy

Great club Burghfield. Sailed there for over 5 years. Weird wind though the “Burghfield Vortex” – only place I have done a full 360 degree circuit close hauled. The sudden 180 degree wind shifts are fun too. They used to do a great Weds night mixed handicap race – Oppies mixing it up with RS400s – followed by a pie and a pint in the club house. Enjoy 😀

garage-dweller

Used to race keel boats with an IC sailor. Very interesting boats and I suspect very rewarding if you have the b time to refine v your skills.

Blaze is terrific but as you say it’s a long way back to the middle and its harder to cross the gap than it is in a trapeze boat.

£25 mechanical is not even a contender for excessive cost.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£25 mechanical is not even a contender for excessive cost.

Well, £25, plus the cost of the boat :-0

To gybe an IC, you stand up and run round the back. Seriously…

I used to do that in my Laser for a joke, never knew it was a usefull skill!

garage-dweller

Ok I get your point now.

Did you ever try round the mast tacks? That was quite a good game of balance and steering by weight.

Miss the laser but not enough time for sailing solo any more. if I can get buy in at home I am going to try and teach eldest this year (5 next month) so a miracle or similar may follow.

ibnchris

Cutting a steerer too short is a properly expensive mistake…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did you ever try round the mast tacks? That was quite a good game of balance and steering by weight.

Yup, used to be a training exercise/challenge to do a race entirely stood up, suprisingly easy once you got the hang of it.

I think the bug’s bitten again as I’m thinking of a beater Laser for just dicking arround in, but at 100kg I’d proably sink it now!

jonathan
    Free Member

When I was racing I was always way too light for a Lazer (we had a good Europe fleet going)… I’d porbably be about right now 😉

aracer
    Free Member

In a Laser? Yep, have done that. Have also sailed one doing a headstand on the prow (not tacks, just sailing in a straight line steering by leaning) – you have to find some amusement when the wind is light!

garage-dweller

Aracer

Nautical chapeau!

100kg for mucking around is fine in a laser especially if it’s howling!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Grrrr, should have gone to the LBS (possibly the most expensive mechnical yet?)’ is closed to new replies.