Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Ground Source Heating for a single room?
  • redx

Is it possible to install a small scale ground source heating system for a single room? My parents live in an old stone farmhouse in Somerset (stone walls about half a metre thick) and have problems heating the sitting room as it’s at the end of the house and has three external walls. They’re digging up an old patio next to this room and I’m wondering if they could install a small ground source heating system for just that room? It’s a fairly small room, so they’re not keen on adding insulation to the internal walls which my first suggestion….

And if ground source heating might be suitable, does anyone have any recommendations of installers?

Cheers,

Alex

STATO
    Free Member

Well if they dont want to insulate just turn up the existing heating or add an electric heater, or just burn fivers since money is obviously not an issue…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“It’s a fairly small room, so they’re not keen on adding insulation to the internal walls which my first suggestion….”

put it on the outside then.

then you get lovely thermal mass , insulation and retain inside dimensions.

ground source is good for passive background heating in well insulated properties – not so great for heating cold properties in the way a wood burner does.

v666ern
    Free Member

add a radiator off the existing system…otherwise im with STATO 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

the pumps/condensors etc make up much of the cost of the GSHP system – the amount of pipe is not so important so it’s much less cost effective the smaller the installation.

It’s also, IMO not even that compelling in terms of efficiency.

Any insulation would be better than adding a new heating system for one room. Then (and only then) after that, electrical room heating could be an option.

honeybadgerx

I’d be very surprised if the cost of a ground source system was cheaper than just turning the heating up for the next 15 years. What kind of radiators are in the room? Are they older more ‘solid’ ones without the thin heat exchange ‘waffling’ on the back/middle? If so maybe look at changing/increasing their size. Also look at insulating the floor and putting a thicker carpet down.

TooTall
    Free Member

GSHP is not a good answer for this problem. As said above, the above ground costs are a big part of it and I’ve never heard of one that small before.

rwamartin
    Free Member

I think an air conditioning unit would work but I would also echo the cost/benefit against turning up the heating.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’m guessing by the description that internal or external wall insulation isn’t an option. But how about just doing the roof/celling?

Also, don’t discount drafts being the cause of it being hard to heat. They should also be high up the priority list as they are relatively cheap/easy/quick to fix in most cases. Does it have a fireplace? Open chimney, almost the perfect heat escape route. Rattly windows, doors, floor boards? The list is almost endless…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Ground Source Heating for a single room?’ is closed to new replies.