Home Forums Bike Forum Grizedale riding (not N.Face)

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Grizedale riding (not N.Face)
  • hora
    Free Member

Thinking of staying local and riding the natural stuff etc there.

Thoughts and pics?

grum
    Free Member

It’s ace – probably my favourite riding in the Lakes TBH. Almost all of the BWs are great for fast semi-tech but not too steep fun.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve heard one or two are quite rocktastic gnarl?

grum
    Free Member

It’s all pretty rocky. The ‘riverbed’ descent down to the VC is pretty damn rocky (and wet). The Nibthwaite descent I mentioned has some pretty techy bits. Breasty Haw isn’t really techy but gets a little steep at the end (great descent). The Hole in the Wall has some tricky bits.

Trying to think of anything really full of gnar – it’s all ace though IMO.

emmodd
    Free Member

Going up to the Lakes w/end 4/5 August and planning on hitting Grizedale on the Sunday. The N.Face is what we’re looking at but any pointers on these rocktastic BW’s and where they can be found would be appreciated.

Pridds

Loads of great stuff
    Lawsons park, the fox, moor lane and the riverbed are my face natural trail and the new black trail is great and well worth a look. The north face can be a good way to link these trails up and avoid some fire road sections but it is a let down as a stand alone trail
    Ian

samcamsdad

Avoid the north face loop as a full ride, as pridds said use as a link to the good bridleways.
    You can also link grizedale to other areas close by, like claife, iron keld, and hodge close. All well worth venturing out the forest for.

grum
    Free Member

emmodd – if you start at the VC do the first two bits of singletrack on the north face trail, then on the next bit of fire road where it bends right there is s signed bridleway up to Parkamoor going left uphill. Follow that for a while (stunning views of Coniston off to the right), bit of up and down then a short sharp climb up to a BW junction. RIght is a great long, fast descent to Nibthwaite (then you can do a big-ish road climb and head over to Ickenthwaite), left takes you to a great 3 part descent to Satterthwaite.

From Satterthwaite you could go up and over Breasty Haw, then Hole in the Wall, The Fox etc – sorry don’t think I have gpx files but someone must do.

So much more worthwhile than just doing the NFT imo.

d45yth
    Free Member

There’s a few routes that take in said places over on GPSies.

emmodd
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Just need a suggestion for a big Saturday ride now. Planning on staying near Ambleside. Don’t mid a bit of hike-a-bike. Never had the pleasure of riding the Lakes before so if there was only one route to ride (great views, descents and climbs)then what would it be?

grum
    Free Member

How big is big? You can do a fairly big ride just around Grizedale, especially if you take in some of the stuff around like Claife Heights.

I’m not sure what the one killer route is TBH – a tour of Coniston water including some of the bits of Grizedale I mentioned and Walna Scar road would have been pretty epic – I believe they’ve sanitised Walna Scar Road though. It may have improved since then, I’ve not ridden it in ages.

Don’t bother with High Street imo – apart from the views and the Ullswater singletrack (which you don’t have to go up High Street for) there’s not that much to recommend it. Hellvelyn descending via Dollywagon Pike/Grisedale (different one!) is good if you like it steep and techy and mountain-feeling.

d45yth
    Free Member

emmodd – You could do the 3 passes…Gatesgarth, Nan Bield & Garburn.

Trekster

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l145/bigjohnskona/3%20Passes/

Ambleside, Jenkyns Crag, Troutbeck, Garburn, Kentmere, Green Quarter to Staveley and back via Dubbs road or Garburn the opposite way 😆

martinhutch

The round trip described in the Vertebrate Graphics guide takes in Parkamoor, Nibthwaite, around to Breasty Haw, back down via the Fox and is excellent, challenging without being desperately technical, and does three of the best descents.

hora
    Free Member

The round trip described in the Vertebrate Graphics guide takes in Parkamoor, Nibthwaite, around to Breasty Haw, back down via the Fox and is excellent, challenging without being desperately technical, and does three of the best descents.

sounds good. They had some good routes for their Peaks section. Will buy- ta.

chakaping

Is the “riverbed” the descent that starts near the beginning of the first singletrack climb on the NF trail and comes out by the farm bit?

It’s like a mini Les Gets gulley run, gnarly and wet.

Don’t know if anyone mentioned “boulder alley” which finishes across the road from the VC and is amazing fun. Quite quick to push up and ride back down even if you don’t work it into a longer route.

mrchrist

I did this great route round grizedale and Claife Heights[/url] recently. Thoroughly enjoyable.

martinhutch

Is ‘boulder alley’ the Fox? That finishes opposite the VC.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I love Parkamoor.

– You could do the 3 passes…Gatesgarth, Nan Bield & Garburn

I’m doing that on saturday, starting from Haweswater end.

chakaping

I think it is martin, I’m not v good with the names there but was under the impression the fox was the trail that ran back over the hill, leftish from the top of that descent.

It’s all good anyway.

😀

martinhutch

I’m not a local, so either of us could be right! That’s the one I rode down on though, and it’s great fun.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The fox descent is best done from the vc heading east towards Esthwaite water, cracking climb too, and a challenge to clean.

Any of the Bridleways in the area are exellent,if your new to the area,its good to use the vc as a starting point as its relativly low and you can maximise the downhills by climbing and descending as a circuit.and yet keeping the mileage relativly low. enjoy 😉

jwt
    Free Member

Some route descriptions on the ride the lakes site, with maps I think?
    NFT a big disappointment IMHO. New Black route is a different deal……………. 😀

Pridds

Boulder alley is known as the Silurian way. It forms the other half of a 4×4 route that goes from the VC to the Esthwaite valley. They go up the Silurian way from the VC through the forest and down the fox.
    The route descriptions that Matt did on ridethelakes.co.uk have disappeared since we changed the site but i’ll see if Stu can link to them.

Pridds

Chapaking, that run is offically Moor Lane and locally known as Grandad, Dad and the Dentist.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

jwt – Member

Some route descriptions on the ride the lakes site, with maps I think?
    NFT a big disappointment IMHO. New Black route is a different deal…………….

I did a map with descriptions for the Ride The Lakes site but I dont think it is up on there at the moment.

If anyone wants a copy of the map just drop me an email pkgraham at btopenworld.com

Carbone
    Free Member
    chakaping

Pridds – That’s the 3-part run down to Satterthwaite you mean isn’t it?

I meant the shorter track that finishes by the gate at the start of the NF route.

smuttiesmith
    Free Member

Carbone – Member

Always found this handy

http://www.ridethelakes.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=704
    Posted 29 minutes ago # Report-Post

There you go, thats me on the RTL forum offering the same map. Looks like there has been a bit of forum merging going on as it is now in general chat rather than the routes forum which no longer appears to exist.

Like I say I have put the descriptions to a single sheet map matching the descriptions to the bridlepaths so it should be easy to follow if anyone wants a copy.

Carbone
    Free Member

Well done smuttie , between you and a mate who worked/guided up there I’ve had some of the best days out available , there a huge amount of riding in that little forest that people just don’t see .

philfive
    Free Member

one of my fave grizedale rides is the following:

start at Visiotr Center

Dads
    Grandads
    Dentist
    Breasty Haws to Great Wood
    Devils Gallop

back to VC

new black section for a play
    lawson park
    riverbed descent

either finish or play on new black section some more.

you can also add Parkamoor to Nibthwaite and the bridal way over to ickenthwaite in that aswell.

you can ride all day in the forest 😀 use the fireroads or bits of the north face to get to the good stuff.

philfive
    Free Member

emmodd

give me a shout when your going over and i may be able to come and show you around 😀

emmodd
    Free Member

emmodd

give me a shout when your going over and i may be able to come and show you around

Philfive, that would be great – thank you.

philfive
    Free Member

excellent video of Grandads, dads and the Dentist.

emmodd
    Free Member

Did Gatesgarth, Garburn and Nan-Bield on Saturday which was great but long and tiring. What with having to twice find shelter from thunder and lightening (the 2nd time whilst half way up the ascent of Nan-Bield), it took 8.5 hrs all told. All were very tired and wet having completed this monster but so pleased to have done it. Will be back in better weather to attempt to finish in a reasonable time.

Being so worn out from Saturday, we ended up just riding the North Face yesterday, rather than wandering off to explore. TBH, I was expecting the worst but were pleasantly surprised – the final descent from the top car park to the visitors centre being a particular highlight.

Will be back to explore Grisedale properly in the not too distant future.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale riding (not N.Face)’ is closed to new replies.