Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Great restaurant recommendations please – London
  • peterfile
    Free Member

A christmas gift for my brother and his other half.

He loves tasting menus. He’ll be happy to travel, but if it’s close to Putney then all the better.

So far, I’ve come up with The Ledbury, Pied a Terre, Gauthier Soho or Petrus which are admittedly all fairly obvious choices (I’ve only eaten at Petrus though).

Anyone got any views on the above, or other recommendations?

kilo

Chez Bruce for close to Putney.

Murano is nice.

lunge

Clos Maggiore. Beautiful, romantic place in Covent Garden (don’t let the location put you off!). Really, really good, I can’t recommend it enough.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Bob Bob Ricard is meant to be excellent.

kilo

tenacious_doug – Member

Bob Bob Ricard is meant to be excellent.
    It was good but it’s not so much fine dining as say Petrus, still good though.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

id get him a booking at Dans le Noir? Clerkenwell.

bit if a unique experience, dining in total darkness!

iolo
    Free Member

Stringfellows, Covent Garden

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hunan.

Let Chef Peng be the guide…..

peterfile
    Free Member

These are great, thanks guys.

I’d heard of Chez Bruce before kilo, but had no idea it was so close to him!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d go for Murano too.

hora
    Free Member

We went to this a couple of months ago: http://www.lecomptoir.co.uk/

Going again soon 😀

aP
    Free Member

Fera at Claridges should be good – we had the tasting menu at Roganic a couple of years ago, it was amazing
    Benares? Had lunch there last week, and it was much better than the previous time we went – tasting menu looks good.

mefty
    Free Member

The Square is very good indeed, the guy who runs the Ledbury trained under Phil Howard, who runs the Square. (Howard is also one of the owners of the Ledbury, which is very good too)

jonnyrockymountain

le deux salon (William iv street covent garden)
    wild honey (12 st George st) just off hanover sq oxford st)
    rosewood restaurant (chancery court hotel)

stealthcat

Was a bit underwhelmed by Chez Bruce, but that was a long time ago.

St John in Smithfield is always my choice, but it depends on your brother’s tastes…

dragon
    Free Member

Make a day of it and head out of London to the Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons.

damo2576
    Free Member

Of your suggestions I’d personally go for The Ledbury. Also look at Square as others have suggested as well as Fera though I’ve not yet tried that. Claude Bosi at Hibiscus is worth a look as is Helen Daroze at Connaught. The other one people haven’t mentioned is Gavroche though personally find that underwhelming however well executed. Depends on what you’re after.

Lots more suggestions other than that if its not so much fine dining/tasting menus you’re after.

jambalaya
    Free Member

What type of food ? Choices above quite French in orientation, which I do like and Clos Magorie is excellent value, great for a couple. As an alternative we had the tasting menu at Rasori near Sloane Sq and the chargrilled meats at Amaya (next to Petrous in Belgravis) are excellent. Both Michelin starred Indians (priced accordingly).

Edit: just a follow up to Manoir suggestion above I would add Waterside Inn at Bray, I like both very much. One 2 star the other 3

kilo

There’s always the fat duck, very ott though

peterfile
    Free Member

Thanks!

I’ve had to have a rethink, since I hadn’t factored in the whole cost of the evening when looking at restaurants. My original ideas would push the total bill towards £400 (food, service, wine, drinks, taxis etc). I think I’d prefer for them to have a complete meal/evening out on me, but we don’t do Xmas presents for each other at that sort of cost.

After a bit more digging around Chez Bruce, I reckon I’ll go with that (seems to be very reasonably priced and is local to him). For £200 they can have food, decent wine and taxis. It seems to be a bit of an institution too, so one to tick off his list.

Thanks for all the suggestions and cheers for the heads up on Chez Bruce kilo.

(we’ve eaten at Fat Duck and Waterside Inn as a family and we’ve both been to Le Manoir, so those are off the list…all would have been too expensive anyway though!).

mrmoofo
    MTB-Idle
    Free Member

The Light House in Wimbledon on the Hill
    Hawksmoor in Piccadilly
    Bluebird in Kings Road

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Dans le Noir is fully booked…

jonnyrockymountain

Any of the hawksmore chain Piccadilly, guildhall, seven dials, spitalfields

Ps one opening down deansgate Manchester early February

greenbailiwick
    Free Member

Dans Le Noir was fun but the food was mediocre.

For tasting menus:

Atelier de Joel Robuchon
    Or go to Paris to Epicure in Le Bristol Hotel-best meal of my life.

For an interesting take on Indian food try.
    Amaya in Mayfair

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Great restaurant recommendations please – London’ is closed to new replies.