Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Great Buying Story From The Classifieds
  • lank45
    Free Member

With a few people posting about being ripped off recently on the classifieds I wanted to add a bit of balance to the forum.

Recently spotted an Orange Alpine for sale by mat8246, at a price I was willing to pay. Issue was Mat had only ever sold a few items, and didn’t have any other posts. So I emailed ash.addy who’d recently bought some bars from him. Ashley emailed me back saying the guy was spot on.

A few emails, followed by a few more phone calls (which to be fair is a much better way of dealing with someone) and I had my dad travelling the 10hr trip to get the bike. Dad turned up at his work, collected the bike, handed over the money and job done. Great experience of spending a good amount of cash on our forum. Hopefully, I’ll get out this weekend for a go on it.

So thanks mat8246 and ash.addy for restoring my faith in man kind and showing me why we have this community of riders!

footflaps

I’ve bought and sold quite a bit on the Classifieds and never had a single problem. Ebay is quite another matter with non payers, late payers, arsy payers, etc…

Mugboo

Never had a problem on here 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Always had good experiences. I tend to limit my spending to ‘proper’ forum users, not classifieds only.

Post a comment on the original for sale thread so anybody doing a search can see the history

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Never had a problem ever anywhere b/s except one ****t thinking once i had sent him a new sram x.0 shifter for a very good price, he wanted me to send another foc ffs!

Shiesters should read adverts properly especially when it,s clear for all to see so.

leffeboy

and I had my dad travelling the 10hr trip to get the bike.

And no thanks to your dad 🙁

bigyinn
    Free Member

And some sellers still get shirty if another member questions them about pricing of legitimacy.
    This is why, usually, the classifieds work very well on here, because others are actively watching and policing the FS ads. And also why scammers and REALMEN get outed and sent packing!

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve got a really good selling story if that counts. Put an X9 shifter up in the morning, the money arrived and it was on its way to him by 4 in the afternoon. Cheers neilkachu. 🙂

ash.addy
    Free Member

Lank glad to hear that the bike was a good un. Hope you enjoy your new ride, we’re all in this game together and I don’t agree with the fleabay attitude I’d rather sell something that works well for a reasonable price to like minded people. Good luck lank glad to help.

Ash

matt_outandabout

I too have only had good experiences on here – but I do tend to go on whether someone has more than ‘for sale’ threads and has been round more than a day or so…

carlphillips
    Free Member

always good on here for me..

bruneep

I too have only had good experiences on here – but I do tend to go on whether someone has more than ‘for sale’ threads and has been round more than a day or so…

That^

footflaps

Another top tip for the classifieds – never buy from someone who posts ONLY IN CAPITAL LETTERS 😉

lank45
    Free Member

Of course thanks to my Dad! Fortunately he’s a lady man of leisure (retired), and I’m away working, or else it wouldn’t be waiting for me this weekend.

Right what to buy next…

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Bikeradar has a useful forum for feedback on its classifieds section.About time we had one here….?

footflaps

I think only Premier members should be allowed to start threads in the classifieds, would be a good way for STW to get more to join as you save about 15% over using Ebay.

edd

Not a bad idea footflaps, £2 per month (or whatever premier digital is) seems good value for the classifieds forum.

z1ppy

Personally I don’t like idea, but then at least STW make some money off the traders on here.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Of course you don’t z1ppy. You don’t have a P next to your name so you’re bound to dislike the idea of having to pay £2 to advertise.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think only Premier members should be allowed to start threads in the classifieds

Then it would die on it’s arse.

I’m not premier any more, yet I’ve got a trackable, 100%, trading record. And I know of others just the same!
    🙂

z1ppy

Dave that is a very stupid comment.. and if you at all interested my history will show you I’ve never put a FS ad up (go on show me I’m wrong.. I probably am I’ve been posting on here far to long) …. though I do like the occasional WTD ad’s.

£2 for a months worth of advertising is fine by me.

footflaps

Then it would die on it’s arse.

You sure? For £2 / month you save 15% on selling through Ebay – seems a bargain to me if you regularly sell stuff. Plus, does it really matter if some people stop selling stuff in the classifieds?

wattsymtb
    Free Member

On a side note you will love the Alpine. I bought an ex rental one and it is the best bike I have ever owned. I know some people don’t like single pivot but I was blown away by how well it pedals and how it can blast any downhill type stuff. I honestly don’t think there are any drops, road gaps, jumps etc that I would hit on my DH bike that I wouldn’t hit on the alpine, and it can go uphill.

xiphon
    Free Member

I wonder how much of that “good amount of cash” actually went back into the forum via a donation/subscription from the seller…. hmmmm….

Interestingly, I would probably cough up for a digi subscription, if I was required to browse the classifieds…

sssimon
    Free Member

only ever had one problem that wasn’t rectified on here, rest of it has been a pleasure even when there have been problems they’ve been sorted with minimal fuss, I try and sort stuff quickly and everyone else seeems to have

by the way, the c u next tuesday that ripped me off has a P beside his name………

z1ppy

now that is an idea.. you canne see them or post in them unless your a “P”…

cardo

Nothing but good experiences with the STW folk for buying and selling. I built my current bike using 80% used parts. Good communication /updates on progress when stuff is sent and received all helps.

edd

How about a system where any number of “wanted” adverts can be placed but there’s a limit of, say, two “for sale” adverts a month unless a user is a premier member?

That would seem fair to me.

EDIT: ps I think that viewing the classified adverts should always be free.

xiphon
    Free Member

Personally I think it’s a privilege for *anybody* to turn up on STW and post an advert to 1000s of people for free.

Despite not having a ‘P’ beside my name, I’m still in favour of it. Perhaps I feel more secure dealing with ‘P’ people?

edd – nice idea!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’ve frequently bought on here and had nothing but good experiences and great comms all round…

Conan257
    Free Member

I think a “trust” system should be introduced. Another forum I use has this feedback system so people can comment on both the buying and selling experience to the benefit of the next transaction.

Although it seems that STW doesn’t want the forum to have any complication at all!

Stevelol
    Free Member

Paying for the classifieds is a terrible idea. I have used those forums to buy/sell before but maybe only once every few months. I’d stop using it if I had to pay monthly.

footflaps

Paying for the classifieds is a terrible idea. I have used those forums to buy/sell before but maybe only once every few months. I’d stop using it if I had to pay monthly.

When you say ‘terrible idea’ I think you mean ‘minor irritation’ 😉

showerman
    Free Member

you need some nice 2010/11 mavic deemax in silver on that sitting with 1 weeks use in my loft with nothing to do if you need to spend more money

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’ve had several years of mostly very happy experiences buying and selling here. Then johnsquiresplectrum came over the horizon.

clubber
    Free Member

9 ads posted by “P” members on the front page of the classifieds out of 50ish so that’d means approx 20% of the throughput if you restricted it. Making people pay would kill it off dead.

I can see why the STW people don’t want to implement anything formal into the classifieds – as soon as they do, there’ll be an expectation from their ‘customers’ that they’ll manage sales when things go wrong and I’m pretty sure they don’t want that hassle.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Great Buying Story From The Classifieds’ is closed to new replies.