Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Grease v oil in wheel bearings
  • lagerfanny
    Free Member

Built this longboard last week and really enjoying the thrill of it

however today I brought this product,
    http://www.bonesbearings.com/products/accessories/speed-cream/
    and the difference it has made to the wheel bearings performance is outstanding! On rolling down the same gradient in the local park, I'm gaining much more speed which gives me another 30 odd metres before needing to push again.
    So I'm thinking why not pop the shields off the wheel bearings in my 240's hubs, flush out and apply this stuff instead?
    Your thoughts & comments please.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My main worry would be having oil leak out of the hub and onto the brake disc. I've seen this happen with knackered bearings.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hey! Nice coasting plank fella!

lagerfanny
    Free Member

mmmm…….my thoughts are that because you only need to apply two or three drops on the bearing race to have it really spin fast and the fact that the DT Swiss conversion hubs have quite good seals that this shouldn't be a problem.

njee20
    Free Member

Try it, worst case scenario is that your bearings don't last as well and go gritty.

Would definitely do it on the road though, in fact I'm tempted to do it on my Race X Lites! Most of the pro-tour riders run oil in the bearings, with no seals at all, particularly for TTs, but they only have to last an hour.

epicyclo

Before sealed bearings we used oil. Just a few drops every week or after rain.

Bearings used to last forever if you did maintenance, or last no time if you didn't. Preventative maintenance was pennies for a bag of new balls.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

nice long board. Im into quad skating myself and just did the goodwood roller marathon today. Theres quite a few long boarders there and its always a good laugh.

I usually use a thick grease (white grease i found the best) on cheap bearings but then that was when i played rolelr hockey in teh rain and would skate through puddles. Somethign worth considering if you are skat(eboarding)ing all year round…

Thanks for the headsup on this stuff though, i may have to try it. Today i only had a light oil in my bearings and whilst they made a horrific noise they rolled for freaking ever and i believe my wheels are similar in specification to yours just a bit narrower.

Out of interest, how hard is riding a long board. Ive never really ridden a skateboard in my life but longboards look great fun.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Plenty of racers use oil in their wheel bearings, but they don't have to pat to replace them every hundred miles or so.
    TBH the DT 240S run quite fast for production hubs and last ages aswell.
    I wouldn't bother for the very small advantage it would offer unless you're racing on them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Grease v oil in wheel bearings’ is closed to new replies.