Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Gravity (the film)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I rather enjoyed that. I know I’m a bit late to the party, but tend to ignore Hollywood hype.

Anyone else get a bit creeped out by the thought of floating into nothingness?

Caher

Yep very good film. Watched in the cinema and the sense of supreme agrophobia was gripping.

scuttler

I saw it on an IMAX and enjoyed it, but not sure I’d be so bothered on telly. I don’t remember it niggling me about the space/vastness/alone thing afterwards but Interstellar was in my head for a week!

legend
    Free Member

Is this the one with the conveniently placed spaced stations and a hawt Bullock?

mikey74
    Free Member

Yep! The very same.

mikey74
    Free Member

It wasn’t the visuals so much, it was the thought of it.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw it at the cinema, was pretty good. Not sure it’d come across quite so well on the telly screen.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m sure my mere 32 inches didn’t do it justice, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

garage-dweller

Legend yep that’s the one although I need the southern for the word “hawt”.

I like it, watched Interstellar and Passengers this week too.

Of course those space stations wouldn’t be quite so convenient and she would probably have got the bends or drowned at the end but then James Bond would have been done for drink driving and be suffering from syphillis many movies ago and I still quite enjoyed Skyfall.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I turned the TV on and just caught the last 20 minutes of it.
    I was hooked though, might research it from the start sometime soon.

mikey74
    Free Member

….and now Airplane! is on :mrgreen:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like it, watched Interstellar and Passengers this week too.

So, there we have three films that are nice to look at, while dispensing with such fripperies as plot or character development.

Still, lovely to look at.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not sure why you would need character development in a film like Gravity.

garage-dweller

What can I say, sometimes you just want to look at the view.

We have had a bit of an accidental sci fi binge this week. I’d seen gravity before but not the other two.

Cougar

I saw it on an IMAX and enjoyed it, but not sure I’d be so bothered on telly.

Pretty much where I’m at. It was -tremendous- in the cinema, but I think that was the whole spectacle / experience rather than being a great film in and of itself.

downhillfast
    Free Member

mikey74 –
    ….and now Airplane! is on

Yes, but that’s a different kind of film, altogether.

:mrgreen:

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s a different kind of film

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a different kind of film

No! Shirley you can’t be serious?

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t call me Shirley

bikebouy
    Free Member

Enjoyed Gravity “then” and watched it again the other night as it happens..

Best part ?

For me it was the scene when “bullock ” is in the pod ready to leave and it’s tethered by the parachute, and it swings and jolts and you know it’ll be tethered for a while or she has to do something about it… best bit I reeeeeckkkon…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m no fan of 3D – in fact I generally loath it – but Gravity is excellent in 3D.

The director specifically made it for 3D and even conducted a campaign for cinemas to show it in 3D.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I just don’t get appreciating a film for it’s graphics. Gravity was dull. Super dull, wooden acting and nothing that I found gripping at all. If they all died with no explanation I’d have left the cinema feeling exactly the same…nothing.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Saw it at Imax. Pretty good at suggesting the immensity of space. Great special effects.

Shame it couldn’t completely avoid the usual Hollywood religious nonsense.

Final scene was the best bit. For the blokes in the audience… 😀

the-muffin-man

I thought it was complete tosh.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I too thought it was total fluff-toss. Saw it at the pickchaz. Enjoyed it. Like a Mr Whippy ice-cream. It came, it went and was momentarily distracting. Like 95% of Hollywood output. Arrival was a little more engrossing, but then again I fell asleep.

Now, Cloud Atlas…that’s a rum one. Have only managed half of it as was late and it had a lot of WTFery going on. Will revisit. Maybe.

Haze

Yeah I also though it was rubbish

big_scot_nanny

Interstellar is slipping into my top 5 of all time, I love it. Tars and Case steal the show. And the end always makes me well up (not the very end, but the bit when…. ah, better not say!). Soundtrack is epically good. I think the characters are developed rather well, all IHMO of course.

Gravity is a very enjoyable romp, but the massive errors and liberties with physics do set my teeth on edge. There was a very good episode of ‘The Infinite Monkey Cage’ where they were discussing science and the movies, the guy who was the advisor to Gravty was on the panel and got an absolute caning, IIRC. Very funny.

deadkenny
    Free Member

namastebuzz – Member 
    I’m no fan of 3D – in fact I generally loath it – but Gravity is excellent in 3D.

That’s what’s put me off seeing it. Can’t stand 3D, partly as the gimmick of it, partly because it’s irritating to watch (floating elements, close up objects make me go cross eyed, forced to focus on what the director is focusing on which confuses the brain, etc).

Not sure I’d give it a go in 3D even though I have 3D TV. I never use the 3D aside from having tried it out initially and found it annoying. More so as it’s an active system so flickers a lot too.

Is it worth watching in 2D?

drlex
    Free Member

Scientific issues. No wonder the advisor got grilled on the IMC show, but was a fun way to pass a couple of hours.

martinhutch

It’s the same with the Martian, gradually stretches your credulity to breaking point before snapping it brutally in half and stamping on the remains in the last third of the film. Still enjoyed both of them, mind you.

kimbers

Ending ruined it for me, bit too silly by then
    (edit and agree, exactly the same with the Martian)
    Looked great though

Saw Interstellar recently and preferred that

bikebouy
    Free Member

Interstellar is easily in my top 5 of all time..

Gravity probably in the top 200.

jimjam
    Free Member

I didn’t see it in the cinema and tried to watch it on TV a while back. I really couldn’t enjoy it or suspend my disbelief in the slightest. Nothing about it seemed remotely plausible, especially the characters, whether it was the dialogue or the performances I’m not sure. I had to tap out after about 40 minutes. Awful.

DrJ

Scientific issues.

I watched it on a little screen on a plane and quite enjoyed it. TBH most of those “issues” seem pretty minor to me, in the context of a sci-fi film.

(If you want “implausible” try explaining how every character in a TV drama set in London lives in a house, or a nice flat, whereas a real cop or nurse would be sharing a room in a shoddily-refurbished ex-council flat.)

mikey74
    Free Member

Haha I didn’t say it was Shakespeare or Tolkein, I just said I enjoyed it. I didnt find it any more far-fetched than any other sci-fi film or, as stated above, most TV shows that are out at the moment.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

the ending ruined it for me

Insert frame grab. Insert puns utilising the word ‘gravity’ 😀

Sci-fi used to be shameless is still struggling to not include segments with female actors becoming surreptitiously either disrobed or else squeezed into spray-on costumes . Barbarella has a lot to answer for, but at least it was upfront with intentions…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Great film, enjoyed it and would happily see it again.
    The mention of Interstellar is worthy, it’s probably in my all time top 10, also enjoyed the Martian films that successfully suspended belief for long enough.
    Films, like magic don’t work if you go in hoping to work out how it’s done really.

Gunz
    Free Member

The Martian book is a really good read and goes much further in explaining the thinking and science behind his survival (I’m in no way a scientist).

grumpysculler
    Free Member

The Martian book is a really good read and goes much further in explaining the thinking and science behind his survival (I’m in no way a scientist).

I read the book first, film followed it fairly well but obviously had to dumb it down and add some exciting drama. I enjoyed both.

Insterstellar was awesome, would watch it again but I’m worried it will make me feel stupid.

I keep meaning to watch Gravity. I do not have high expectations, but I’ll do it anyway because of Sandra Bullock.

bensales
    Free Member

Gravity isn’t a sci-fi film. It’s a psychological thriller set in space. There is nothing science fiction about it barring the fiddling with orbital mechanics given the real settings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gravity (the film)’ is closed to new replies.