Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • 'Gravel' bikes vs hybrids…
  • kerley
    Free Member

I don’t think I like drops. I’m not bothered about speed

In my testing (switching between drops and risers on a whim) I have found no noticeable difference on Strava over 1-2 hour gravel type rides. I don’t think I am going fast enough for it to matter.

molgrips
    Free Member

Drops mostly for a change of position on these bikes I reckon.

shermer75
    Free Member

Drops mostly for a change of position on these bikes I reckon.

Quite!

shermer75
    Free Member

drops for better brake control.

Gives you better handlebar control too, I reckon..

dovebiker

Modern road bike geometry is set up for the hoods to be the optimum position for control. We previously had horizontal toptubes and brake levers too small to comfortably support your hands, so it was more comfortable to ride on the drops, but we also had adjustable height quill stems and saddle to bar drop wasn’t as big. People now want a bum-up ‘pro’ position cos they think it’s

aP
    Free Member

My Bokeh is set up with relatively high bars compared to my best road bike because I do different kinds of riding on it. This “more relaxed position” lets me use the tops, the hoods and the drops and the sweep as and when I want to.
    Descending tends to be in the drops though as I find it gives better control, means I don’t have to “hang-on” and stops my hands fatiguing as quickly.
    I do use Salsa Cowbells though as the slight flare is comfortable and reduces the potential for my wrists and the bar meeting (in a similar manner to sprinters drops).

shermer75
    Free Member

Modern road bike geometry is set up for the hoods to be the optimum position for control. 

I disagree, when it’s downhill and bumpy I feel waaaay more in control in the drops

slowster
    Free Member

We previously had…brake levers too small to comfortably support your hands, so it was more comfortable to ride on the drops

That is simply not true. 30 odd years ago riding on the hoods was the norm, and there was only one person in our club who rode on the drops most of the time.

we also had adjustable height quill stems and saddle to bar drop wasn’t as big.

It is not as simple as that. For many pros the levers themselves were lower by virtue of typically being mounted furthest forward on the curve, which meant that the top and the ramps were higher (giving a wider – arguably better – range of different positions than modern bars with the hoods, ramps and tops all at the same level). Non racers tended to rotate the levers up closer to the ramps.

Certainly the shape of bars has evolved in conjunction with other changes to the ergonomics of the bike and STI/Ergolever shape, and deep drop bars like Cinelli Model 66 used by Lemond and (I think) Merckx have virtually disappeared, as has the use on the road (as opposed to the track) of the type like Cinelli Model 65 used by Sean Kelly which was supposed to be preferred by sprinters because the curve started further in on the tops, resulting in the ramps being less in the way of the forearms when sprinting with hands on the drops. The fact that modern sprinters don’t require similar bars probably just goes to show that a lot of this was convention and fashion, and that’s probably just as true today (except where a change has been driven by rigorous scientific tests, such as in a wind tunnel).

epicyclo

slowster – Member
    …Certainly the shape of bars has evolved in conjunction with other changes to the ergonomics of the bike and STI/Ergolever shape, and deep drop bars like Cinelli Model 66 used by Lemond and (I think) Merckx have virtually disappeared, as has the use on the road (as opposed to the track) of the type like Cinelli Model 65 used by Sean Kelly which was supposed to be preferred by sprinters because the curve started further in on the tops, resulting in the ramps being less in the way of the forearms when sprinting with hands on the drops….

Also popular with singlespeed riders because you don’t bang your wrists when stamping up a hill out of the saddle.
    My favourite was the Concorde by Dawes. A nice shape and all that engraving. 🙂
    But it’s probably why I never use the tops of a drop bar – because there’s not much of it straight on a sprint bar.

kerley
    Free Member

I use the drops about 80% of the time, flat bit by the stem when seated climbing and sides of tops when needing a change of position.
    For control of rough / downhill sections always the drops. I don’t have hoods as I have no brake levers…

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t have hoods as I have no brake levers…

OMG think of the pedestrians!!!! again!!!

kerley
    Free Member

They are ramblers, not pedestrians, and don’t see many of them at 8am when I usually ride.

wicki
    Free Member

ElShalimo

thread resurrection…

@Rocketdog
    – what are the Cube SL Road hybrids like for a variety of terrain?

rOcKeTdOg

Road gearing with clearance for CX tyres, rides like a 1990s mtb but with narrow tyres and decent brakes. Good for the £

ElShalimo

@rOcKeTdOg – thanks

mattsccm
    Free Member

My wife has come up with the best way of labelling these bikes. Of 3 in the shed, all with drops, discs and 700c tyres, one is green, one is black and the other is my best bike. According to her that is.

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘'Gravel' bikes vs hybrids…’ is closed to new replies.