Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • GPS watch for cycling
  • neil853
    Free Member

What’s best? £200 top whack price, something that doesn’t look like the dash board of the millennium falcon and something that will upload stuff to strava and the like. I’m not bothered about VO2 max and all that stuff, just distance, time and elevation maybe. It’ll be my only watch which I’ll wear during the week.

I was looking at the garmin forerunner 230?

jam-bo

235 works well for me.

petec
    Free Member

this is good

boblo
    Free Member

No recommendation as I’ve just started using a GPS watch whilst cycling and it’s a bit soon/jury’s still out.

Do watch (ha ha) out for battery life though. I’m finding on the longer rides (6hrs plus) battery life in GPS mode is a bit marginal and I have lost the last bits of ride records.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Sony Smart Watch 3. £80 on ebay reconditioned. Android wear 1.5

Works with Strava and Google maps. Cracking bit of kit.

andytherocketeer

Got a Polar M400. Does practically any sport, and you can link it to Strava too (and a couple of other services), and it is “normal watch” sized.

I timed it at over 7hrs with GPS on before it went to low power mode the other day, and that’s a 2yr old watch. With GPS off it lasts a month easily between charges.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have a Garmin 230 but I do find it annoying that my glove can hit the buttons on it

thecaptain
    Free Member

230 is good, 235 if you want pulse (without the need for a chest strap).

Drac

Garmin Vivoactive HR.

Works with Strava, records GPS well, it’s a bit smart watch too.

superstu
    Free Member

I have a farming forerunner 35, looks like a watch and isn’t big for my tiiiny wrists, battery is excellent – did HONC (7 hours!) and only used half the battery.

superstu
    Free Member

Can be had for much less than £200 as well. I’m sure others are good. I liked the look of the 235 but thought I’d be paying for stuff I don’t use. This connects to Garmin connect and then strava via my phone so prettty much automatic uploads.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Another vote for the Polar M400. Also a daily activity tracker and via the app can give rest guidelines and plenty more.

About to be replaced with the M430 which has built in HR but is looking like it’ll be considerably more than the M400 was/is.

davros

I like my garmin vivioactiv HR. Does what i want it to for running and cycling. Don’t use it as a smartwatch though.

Kuco

I’ve got a TomTom spark 3 which I was happy with but seems to be having battery issues every now and then.

thv3
    Free Member

Also interested in something like this, just wondering if any of the above suggestions work with Strava live segments?

bullroar
    Free Member

Another Polar M400 here, mainly for running but do use it on the bike at times. My experience suggests 7 hours tops before it gives up the ghost. You can get more by taking a portable power store and plugging it in if you stop. Given the new one (M430) is on the way there may be bargains to be had on old stock.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Regarding live segments, the £3 Pro version of Ghostracer allows you to select a specific segment times to race against, with audio and visual updates.

Ghostracer can be synced with Strava.

whatgoesup

Fenix 3 if you’re willing to go S/H?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Garmin 235 here. Use it for running and riding. Bluetooth connectivity is good.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve been using an old Forerunner which has been grand (until the bit that clamps the strap disintegrated this morning, but it is getting on a bit). I suspect if all you want is distance / time / speed and elevation you can pretty much just pick one you like the look of, battery life is likely the main consideration.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘GPS watch for cycling’ is closed to new replies.