Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GPS for bike and running
  • matt_bl
    Free Member

After years of using my trusty Suunto for recording my running, I am thinking about making the jump to GPS. The Suunto is great for running, the accelerometer is really good for distance, but it’s a bit of a faff for cycling. I don’t need a phone app as I have a work Blackberry, which doesn’t have GPS or allow installation.

I would like something that I could use for running and for biking. I don’t need it to show me the way, just track where I’ve been and I guess inevitably upload to Strava.

So what are people using to track their runs/rides? What are the pros and cons?

Matt

surfer
    Free Member

I use my Garmin Forerunner 405 for both. Use it everyday for running to track distance and average pace which is useful for me. I wear it on my wrist for cycling just to look at back on for interest value really.
    You can buy a rubber handlebar mounted thing if you want.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Had a 405 and the 312. 312 still going strong, the only reason i changed was for the basic route guidance it offers. You wont go far wrong with a garmin.
    Go for the 405 unless you want to swim with it as it looks neater.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll have a look at the 405, I don’t mean to start swimming just yet.

Running was enough of a shock to the system!

Matt

bonchance
    Free Member

Garmin 410 with hrm 100ish at Amazon

Slightly annoying bezel control which is not completely responsive

But in use it’s fine as you don’t really need to fiddle

610 is best and can pass for normal watch and has controls which are genuinely usable out and about

but @ £250ish 610 is quite steep – the virtual racer is a nice upgrade on the virtual partner of the 4series – accounts for varying speed over course and not just avg pace.

All the watch styles can do up to 8hr sessions if you need big days out or weekends away from power go for the 910 – which is also more bike mode friendly

Google dcrainmaker for more info.. Don’t over look the 110 either for basic pace and distance logging!

theflatboy
    Free Member

forerunner 210 here. love it.

BoardinBob

This is brilliant

http://www.expansys.com/mobile-action-i-gotu-gps-travel-logger-gt-600-193988

Much cheaper than the garmin. Can be stuffed in bag, worn like a watch. Dead simple to use and very reliable

ononeorange

I bought the Garmin 110 for running, it’s like a slightly enlarged wristwatch. Excellent it is, and now that I’ve knacked my tendons yet again I’m using it for cycling and it’s great for that too.

The only thing I wish it did better is altitude gain – it does some supposedly clever thing with contours and maps but I’ am highly suspicious of the results (I think they are way under). Also, personally I don’t like the idea of uploading stuff to a Garmin website where it is under someone else’s control, but there don’t seem to be many ways to avoid that with any of them.

That aside, highly recommended. Not expensive either.

bonchance
    Free Member

Elevation is a bit annoying if it’s on the go gps based – once you upload though it’s corrected by the map data so should be pretty accurate.

The 910 has barometric elevation if it’s important to you on the go

woffle
    Free Member

Garmin 910XT here – fantastic bit of kit – proper ‘multi-sports’ watch. Check out DC Rainmaker website for reviews. If you’re not looking for the waterproof / swimming functionality then the 610 should probably fit the bill at less £££

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

Forerunner 305 here, love it,

downshep

+1 for the Garmin 110

Simple, good value, easy to use and no silly bezel touch thingy, only real buttons. Got the rubber bar mount for the bike which is solid enough, if a little expensive for a bit of rubber. Easy to switch between modes; running pace / bike mph. Recommended.

jota180
    Free Member

Another Forerunner 305 here, does everything you’d want for running and biking

It’s now been superseded by later models and can be had quite cheaply
    Handtec have refurbs for £100

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1384/garmin-forerunner-305-hr—noh

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks again, I’m liking the look of the Garmin options, they really get some good feedback, especially the 210 it seems.

The 610 is really tempting as a do everything piece of kit.

The DC Rainmaker reviews are incredible in the amount of detail they provide!

Matt

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GPS for bike and running’ is closed to new replies.