Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Goyt Valley DH
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

So the unofficial trail off The Street Goyt Valley (don’t know it’s Strava name) is about to be dismantled by the FC, so last chances to ride a fun little trail!

There is a phone number to ring and discuss it with the FC. Can imagine how that would go 😆

sambob
    Free Member

Any idea when? Might head up tomorrow afternoon if it’ll still be there

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Not sure TBH it was a week ago when I was last there. Saw the posters up on the trees at the start.

julians
    Free Member

(don’t know it’s Strava name)

super smashing whoops?

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll head up that way tomorrow and see what’s going on.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ julians – I guess that includes the other cheeky bit all the way down to the bottom.

carlos
    Free Member

I’m guessing it’s the one with the ‘Northshore’ jump? Pity as it was a nice run down, especially if you took it to the very bottom. 🙁

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yup it is a shame, don’t know who built it but it was really cool! Start at the top of Embridge Causeway jump over the gate halfway down, through the woods hopping and popping off every lip, over the fire road and down foot path 😈 finishing off with fast swoopy cheeky bit for a pretty decent DH run.

carlos
    Free Member

Bummer !!!

proutster
    Free Member

The posters have been up for a couple of months now. We walked up it a few weeks ago to check the state of it and the only thing that was taken down was the big ladder-drop. So we rode it and everything else was still there, including a few big puddles on some berms!!

MartynS

I found this track on Wednesday… There was no north shore stuff.
    I dropped down from the gate to the fire road.. Is there a section after the fire toad then? Might go for another scout round!
    I enjoyed the run down. I am fairly be”wheels on the ground” though!

crazy-legs

Yes, we found the bottom of it by chance a few months ago and I went back the next day to walk it to find the top. It was in disrepair back then, a few little gaps where the woodwork over it had been broken up.

There was a sign on the tree at the top from Forestry Commission.

That was a good few months ago though, guessing they’ve more or less left it as is? A mate who’s far more into the DH scene than me knows who built it, he did tell me but I can’t remember! 😳 Some famous name on the UK DH scene though.

edward2000
    Free Member

Thread revival

Any other decent dh in this area which can easily be looped in? Im going there this afternoon to explore 🙂

jekkyl

I was there on wednesday, great place. on the mac side of the cat n fiddle, heading towards the res, through a gate that says ‘no cycling’ and down. Great long grassy/dirt singletrack, giving way to steeper stuff before the cross fireroads just before the res. Hit the road at the res and go left, climb for about a mile and you’ll get a gate on the left. Through it you’ll see a hill up the left and some singletrack heading down straight on and to the right. Take the right hand path and follow the path along the valley floor, great techy flat giving way to techy decline. Ends up at a junc, take the steps down to the right over the river and the steps up the other side and follow the grassy bank round for more downhill with water bars for jumps, stick to the right hand when it forks, although the left just takes you to a ruined mansion house, which is an interesting stop.
    many thanks to carlos for this route. ;o)

AlexSimon

There is a DH track on both sides of ‘the street’.
    Both roughly parallel to ‘the street’.
    The one mentioned most above “Super Smashing Whoops” is on the left as you’re heading down, but if you go through the gate on the right, rise to the top of the hill, then head down towards the woods parallel with the Street, there is another called “Smashing Whooops” (so I guess it was first).
    afaik there has never been a forestry sign on that one.

Footage of Josh Bryceland riding them here (hard to tell which track):
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySIOQq1_6D4[/video]

isitafox
    Free Member

FAO crazy-legs I heard ratboy built it riding there with a friends nephew he’s taken under his wing

julians
    Free Member

Theres a cracking trail that you take take from near the top of the street/embridge causeway , if you come up the street from the reservoirs, at the high point there is a footpath sign on the right, take this trail, keep following the through various gates, over the top of the taxal edge rocks(or are they windgather rocks , can never remember the name) , essentially heading down towards high peak/whalley bridge. You dont get as far down as high peak itself though. Then is about a 23minute road climb back up to pym chair

edward2000
    Free Member

Jekyll im not too sure where you mean. Are you starting at the top of The Street and takng the path into the Goyt Valley, heading towards Errwood Hall?

proutster
    Free Member

Started off at Derbyshire Bridge and turned left at the Cat and Fiddle then added in Cumberland Clough before climbing back up to all of the stuff mentioned above by Jekkyl and it was all running brilliantly on Tuesday evening 😀

I think Cumberland was the driest I’ve seen it, and it should be even drier now!

Here’s the Strava link for my route:

Clicky

mattyc
    Free Member

Hi lads me and a few mates made the track that someone has named super smashing whoops. I dont think the fc will take anymore of the track out as they removed a few sections months ago now. I was gutted to be honest as it took alot of hard work to build it. They did ruin a few gap jumps too. Ratboy did come up a couple of times to help us build it. He built the gap jump before the northshore drop off. That was one of the jumps that got taken out by the fc. However they have left quite a bit in. I made a northshore part over a boggy area, that has been left. The track is in need of maintenance however I am now very reluctant to do anymore. I rang the number on the flyer but the guy that i spoke to was quite rude and definitely not up for letting us have an area or even that track. He said that there was certain woods set out for mountain biking like wharnecliffe. He said that goyt valley was definitely not on this list. Hope this helps

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@edward2000 – Yeah theres 2 right at the start of these vids:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV6NisQuaAY[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slh2AL6DdDg[/video]

Theres another nice steep line off Taxel Edge!

You can go straight down to the reservoir car park on the Errwood side or down through Shooters Clough IIRC.

You can join these up with other routes Foxlow Edge for example, most nearly all is a wee bit cheeky though and because it’s a valley, a long way down = a long way back up!

Theres a tasty bit of tech cheek near the Cat & Fiddle pub which can also be tied in depending on which direction you want to start and finish and how much up hill chugging you want to do. I think you can effectively circle Goyt Valley dipping in and out so to speak.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ mattyc – FWIW goes without saying myself and others appreciate the effort you and others have put in to build those trails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Goyt Valley DH’ is closed to new replies.