Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Got hit by a van. Should I report it?
  • geuben
    Free Member

On my commute this morning I got hit by a van who turned left on to me.

The driver said he didn’t see me, which can only mean he didn’t look as I had been in that same relative position for about 100m of very slow moving traffic. He didn’t indicate either, not even a token late indication.

The driver didn’t get out of the van and barely hung around long enough for me to pick my bike off the floor.

This wasn’t me ducking up in the inside at a junction, it was almost stationary traffic when he tried to turn into a McDonalds.

The bike was pretty much ok, dinged up front rim (tube exploded about 1 min further down the road). my shoulder hurts a bit where it went through his wing mirror (which he didn’t even attempt to reposition before driving off).

Do I report this (to 101) or not? I didn’t get a number plate (adrenaline really doesn’t allow you to think clearly) however it was near Vauxhall so there is a reasonable chance there would be CCTV around.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Always report, at the very least it will be added to the stats to give a true representation of the problem.

spooky_b329

You know the answer…he left the scene of an accident without exchanging details. You could even consider it a hit and run.

If you consider yourself injured it must be reported to the police, regardless of whether he left the scene or not.

CCTV from McDonalds…I bet they have it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but get his number next time

bails

Report it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Report as hit and run/failing to give details/leaving the scene or whatever the official term is.

teasel
    Free Member

What a bastard, burgering off like that…

Drac

Report it yes but you have no chance of getting any CCTV footage.

maccruiskeen

The driver said he didn’t see me, which can only mean he didn’t look as I had been in that same relative position for about 100m of very slow moving traffic. He didn’t indicate either, not even a token late indication.

Not excusing the driver of anything – but when you say ‘same relative position’ do you you mean you were travelling alongside the van? If thats the case he’d be quite correct to say he couldn’t see you – you can lose a whole artic truck in the blindspot of some vans. Thats even more the case if you’ve moved into that position from behind rather than been passed.

It doesn’t alter the issue of ‘fault’ or ‘liability’ and it doesn’t excuse not indicating or leaving the scene.

antigee

I’d report it to 101 give it a week or so and leave 15minutes early and grab a coffee at Mc’ds and sit and watch a lot of people leave home at exactly the same time every day

(like the lady in the blue suzuki who nearly got me 3 times when leaving her drive without looking – i should have twigged after the 2nd time)

bigyinn
    Free Member

You need to report the incident to the Police, get any witness details and write down a description of the driver and the incident whilst it is still fresh in your mind.

brooess
    Free Member

Report it. Hitting someone and then leaving the scene like that is just callous…

Bez

Leaving the scene is a criminal offence. Driving that results in a collision may also be a criminal offence. If you need to claim on insurance I would guess insurers may ask for an incident number.

So, yes, report it.

daver27
    Free Member

Report it. Hitting someone and then leaving the scene like that is just callous…

and illegal..

colournoise

Nothing to add, but read the thread title as ‘Goth hit by a van’ and was intrigued. Am disappointed…

project
    Free Member

LIKE THIS MUPPET,

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmiSF5v_Qk[/video]

badnewz
    Free Member

Does this mean he didn’t get his Big Mac?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Got hit by a van. Should I report it?’ is closed to new replies.