Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Got bumped in my car on the way home from work….
  • carlosg
    Free Member

On my way home from work this afternoon and a car turned right across the front of me . The driver has hit my front offside corner bending the wing smashing all the lights and the bumper/spoiler, there’s also a great big gouge across the alloy wheel.

Both myself and my passenger are unharmed and feel ok if a little shook up. The other driver is a garage owner who was driving a customers car at the time (has a mate who does bodywork) and wishes to sort things outside insurance. At the moment I’m prepared to go along with this as any insurance involvement will load my premiums for the next 5+ years even though it wasn’t my fault.

I know I should report an accident to the police to at least get an incident number, my question is are the police obliged to inform my insurer of the accident? If they are I might as well go down the insurance route anyway.

Anyone know about this stuff?

stevied
    Free Member

has a mate who does bodywork

This would probably have me going through the insurance. Can you guarantee the work will be done properly or on the cheap?

leffeboy

I thought you were obliged to inform your insurance anyway?

andy8442
    Free Member

My dad fell for this sort of thing a few years ago. Let the insurance sort it out.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I’m with stevied on this – through the insurance for peace of mind of everyone, including the absent customer

sing1etrack

I had a no fault accident a few years back, it barely if at all affected my premiums – go with insurance and get it done properly.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Agree with above. I know you are likely to get lots of conflicting advice (this is STW and the internet after all).
    If it was something minor and he wanted to pay for a garage to sort it rather than put it through the insurance then maybe. (but not a mates garage that is going to do it on the cheap)

You have a reasonable sized repair there i would want receipts and guarantees associated with the work carried out to prove to any buyers(when you come to sell the car)

Its not hard to make a car look alright again but to do a repair (paint/bodywork) that lasts requires doing things properly. Thats why body shops are ££££.

If you werent at fault it shouldnt affect your insurance.

Splash-man
    Free Member

As above, put it through insurance. In my experience no fault claims won’t make any difference to your premium.
    I certainly wouldn’t trust the garaged owners mate to do it

carlosg
    Free Member

Just had a call ,his mate is an insurance approved repairer and will give guarantees on the repairs.
    As an aside the car is a 10 year old Honda CRV so insurance would probably write it off (at a guess)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Was just about to question the age of the car. As it is and a after a recent non fault claim think I’d be doing the same as you and through the mates approved garage, but with writtwn paperwork guaranteeing the work.

legend
    Free Member

The other driver is a garage owner who was driving a customers car at the time (has a mate who does bodywork) and wishes to sort things outside insurance. At the moment I’m prepared to go along with this as any insurance involvement will load my premiums for the next 5+ years even though it wasn’t my fault.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

He doesn’t need to use his insurance, but you should absolutely use yours. The hassle it should save you is likely worth any increase in premiums.

carlosg – Member

Just had a call ,his mate is an insurance approved repairer and will give guarantees on the repairs.
    As an aside the car is a 10 year old Honda CRV so insurance would probably write it off (at a guess)

Edit for this update: that does change things a bit. Would be going over to matey’s to have a look/chat

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you don’t want to go via insurance then get your own quotes from reputable repair places, present other driver with the quotes. I wouldn’t go down the route of him getting his mate to do it. You decide who you use, not him.

As a word of caution a guy in work got his car door bumped in the car park, as in big dent in the panel. Colleague parked next to him admitted it and said don’t go through insurance, he got quotes, she refused to pay after getting the work done, he ended up going through his insurance and got the money back 18 months later. All comms with the colleague was done through email so he had all the evidence.

ransos
    Free Member

If you don’t want to go via insurance then get your own quotes from reputable repair places, present other driver with the quotes.

This. My dad had a similar situation to the OP (the other party didn’t want to go through insurance) so he got a quote from a garage he trusted to do the repair properly.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

But, but, but, who’s paying for the whiplash claim? 😀

andy4d

Wife has been through this, twice 🙄 in her 10yr old Note. Once a guy bumped her in a car park and we did not go via insurance and he got it sorted, all was ok (but you take your chances). Next time (see my thread a few months back) someone reversed into her and we were worried about a scam/counter claim so went via insurance, his insurance paid out in full BUT my wife’s premium did go up a fair bit at renewal, being a bigger risk or price increase? I don’t really know which. Legally, tell your insurance.

retro83
    Free Member

Splash-man – Member
    As above, put it through insurance. In my experience no fault claims won’t make any difference to your premium.

Made a big difference on mine, even though all the money was recovered from the third party 😡

anagallis_arvensis

Will you need a car whilst its being fixed!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Got bumped in my car on the way home from work….’ is closed to new replies.