Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Gore Oxygen versus Gore One jacket.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at upgrading my rainproof biking shell. Current one is a seven year old Gore something or other, possibly an Alp X. I’d like something slightly more breathable and more packable (current active shells seem to have got a lot thinner), and with a closer fit. My current one doesn’t fit in a back pocket at all really 🙄 .

How packable is the current Oxygen jacket? And is the One jacket really that good to justify the hefty price tag? I’ve read reviews and I guess it’s down to everyone’s individual budget but I can’t see myself how the price is so much more than the Oxygen (especially now the Oxygen is on sale).

Cheers

Algore
    Free Member

Is your old Alp X the original GORE-TEX Paclite one. If so the Oxygen or Power Trail (the natural successor) will be noticeably more comfortable.

The Oxygen will easily fit into the rear pocket of a cycle jersey. It is performance road cut but works fine on a MTB if you like racey cut.

Which GORE ONE are you referring too? The ONE GTX PRO is great both of and on the bike, fit is close and the fabric is very robust.
    The ONE GORE-TEX Active which is made of the new ‘SHAKEDRY’ fabric is really fantastic, but is road only. Created with no face fabric it is ligher, more packable and is the most breathable jacket I’ve ever experienced. Likewise there is no need to ever use a DWR treatment on it. It can’t yet be made in colours and the fabric would rip easily if used off-road- Hence road only

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I certainly recommend the oxygen. Mine came with a zip-up bag that it packs into, and is designed to be a perfect fit in your back jersey pocket.

I’m not sure about improvements over the years. My oxygen is about 5 years old, and last year I bought a Gore Element GT – both are Gore-Tex paclite and I haven’t noticed much difference in terms of waterproofness and breathability.

As I’m sure you already know, the Oxygen is only made from the Gore-Tex shell – there’s no mesh liner to aid breathability and comfort, but this is what makes it so packable.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

forgot to say…Gore aren’t consistent with their sizing. My XL oxygen is the same size as an M Element !!

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Is your old Alp X the original GORE-TEX Paclite one.

Yes, its about a 7 year old Paclite. Not very packable in that it doesn’t fit in a jersey pocket, so I have to either wear it for the whole ride or not at all. Could be a bit more breathable too?!

I’ll only be using it for road really.

The ONE GORE-TEX Active which is made of the new ‘SHAKEDRY’ fabric is really fantastic

That’s the one I’m referring too. Personally, I’m leaning for towards the Oxygen, as the extra features on the ONE seem minimal for the price tag. A bottle of DWR is about a fiver. I have not yet handled or seen one yet. I presume part of the costs are to do with production being in relatively small numbers at the moment?

Cheers DiscJockey good to hear its packable! My current one certainly isn’t.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Gore Oxygen versus Gore One jacket.’ is closed to new replies.