Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • gore alpx 2.0 windstopper vs phantom
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

What’s the difference?

My most used commuting item is my gore phantom. Mega bright in bright neon but can be a bit warm for mountain biking + looks crap when all the mud is on it, Have seen the alpx 2 which looks similar (zip off arms, windstopper)

Also very torn whether to go the alp x 2. active shell as my waterproof has had it but then i’m a sucker for these soft shells.

Would be used mainly for mtb duties and road

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I also have a Phantom 2 for commuting! – it’s even the same colour as yours 🙂

I have an Alp-X 2.0 AS Gore-Tex for the wet rides & love it.

I also had an Alp-X 2.0 Softshell & although I loved it too, I was between sizes (XL slightly too small, XXL too big)

Reluctantly sold them both.

Now gone back to a Cosmo Windstopper softshell – in Camo! (Again…..)

Evans are currently doing the Alp-X 2.0 Softshell for £99.99!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gore-bike-wear/alp-x-20-windstopper-soft-shell-zip-off-jacket-ec040395

johnnystorm

Dunno but I’m so impressed with my alp x softshell (black),that I’ve bought a high viz yellow element softshell to commute in.

scotroutes

The Phantom 2 is a much thicker material than the Alp-X. I’d day it’s warmer by quite a bit. I often take the Alp-X in the summer as an optional extra shell as it’s quite lightweight and packable. The Phantom less so. Neither is fully waterproof – showerproof certainly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I also had an Alp-X 2.0 Softshell & although I loved it too, I was between sizes (XL slightly too small, XXL too big)

so does that mean that the alp-x sizes up smaller or larger than the Phantom ?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

so does that mean that the alp-x sizes up smaller or larger than the Phantom ?

Larger.

frogstomp

The AlpX is slim fit and the Phantom comfort fit. My AlpX fitted perfectly but the same size Phantom is a bit baggy round the middle.

Edric64
    Free Member

X2 SOFTSHELL water resistant ,not waterproof ?im out

trickydisco
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Ideally i’d like both the alp x2. windstopper and the active shell (or even the oxygen which i found is their top of the range waterproof)

X2 SOFTSHELL water resistant ,not waterproof ?im out

You don’t get softshells do you?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The AlpX is slim fit and the Phantom comfort fit

True, but I found:

My XXL Phantom is a perfect fit.

The XXL Alp-X softshell I had was baggy round the waist band & definitely felt bigger all over.

I find Gore sizing a bit funny.

scotroutes

Both of mine are Mediums. Fit on the Phantom is a wee bit baggier

frogstomp

Weird, I found the opposite (as scotroutes).

firestarter
    Free Member

The oxygen i had was lovely it was a fitted style as opposed to the phantom ive just got thats a bit more relaxed

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘gore alpx 2.0 windstopper vs phantom’ is closed to new replies.