Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • GoPro Experts – what's wrong here?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

This is a little clip from some stuff I shot the other night, I should say off the bat that it’s blurry because my daughter was trying to eat it and the lens has baby drool over it, but that’s an aside.

At 0.04 second it seems to slow down and go blocky, only to sharpen up again at 0.11, at 0.25 it goes again.

I’ve been trying to fix it, but I can’t correctly describe what it’s doing to even start to work it out.

Camera is the standard ‘Hero’ – it’s shot in 720p 50fps “S”.

The card is a 7DayShop 16GB class 10.

GoPro seem to point to the PC being unable to show it’s properly, but it does it in exactly the same way on my home PC (i5, 8GB RAM, HDD with GTX750Ti GPU) and on my Laptop (i5, 8GB RAM SSD, GT 640 GPU).

It’s also gone to crap being converted to YouTube, it looks better MP4.

cbike
    Free Member

S sounds like standard setting and not HD?

Upload at a higher bit rate?

Editing the MP4 direct or uncompressed? Computer may be stuggling with the MP4.

Another event happened at 4 seconds in the PC causing the glitch?

Recapture and see if it resolves?

Cougar

Could be the SD speed I guess. “Class 10” is fairly meaningless, manufacturers play fast and loose with Class designations.

How does it play locally (ie, not uploaded anywhere)?

stumpy01

If it keeps happening, perhaps try another card? I know it is supposedly a class10, but I’ve had a cheap class10 card in my SLR that can’t clear the buffer quick enough to shoot indefinitely at the same continuous speed, whereas the Sandisk Class10 I have will clear the buffer as quick as you take the images…

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback

“S” stands for ‘SuperView’ – I didn’t really know what it meant, but it’s explained here

https://gopro.com/support/articles/what-is-superview

The standard output bit rate for Youtube is 5, but I exported this clip at 11, made no difference.

“Editing the MP4 direct or uncompressed? Computer may be stuggling with the MP4.” I don’t know, it’s not a term I’m familiar with.

It happens at exactly the same point, whether I view it on either PC, I’ve got a massive dual processor, mega RAM twin GPU CAD workstation in the office at moment and it does the same on that too so I’ve discounted the PC. It also does it whether I’m running the file from the card or if I’ve copied it to the hDD/SSD.

Playing it as an MP4 without uploading it, looks a lot better as a film, but the ‘event’ is the same.

I might try a better card, see if that helps it – I’ve reformatted it in the short-term.

jaymoid

Have you tried filming in protune mode? It has a higher bitrate, so you should see less compression in your resultant video, however if the card has write issues then it will still be a problem.

You can try a different card, some cards that are highly rated have terrible write speeds. Check out this comparison of supposed “class 10” cards: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-sd-memory-cards-tested-2015-17827

Also have you got the latest firmware on the camera?

I personally can’t see what you mean on the video too much, but there is a lot of movement in the 00:04 second area – so the amount of compression used when a scene changes drastically is sometimes more evident with compression artifacts than when the scenes are fairly similiar frame to frame.

jaymoid

“Editing the MP4 direct or uncompressed? Computer may be stuggling with the MP4.” I don’t know, it’s not a term I’m familiar with.

When it’s in the MP4 format straight off the gopro, the video is enclosed in a container (Mpeg-layer4 / MP4) – and the video stream is compressed using h264 codec, and the audio will be AAC I recall.

That’s ^ the compressed form. If you use that in a video editor, it can be slow to use and more time consuming to render because your editor has to decompress the files all the time. So if you convert the file to a uncompressed format such as Apple Prores or Cineform – you save the editor (or the player) from having to do the decompression stage. As such if you did that you could rule out your computer being a bottleneck in this situation.

bigjim

I can’t see it to be honest, but do you still see it in the go pro studio software once you have converted the clip from mp4 (ie gone from stage 1 to stage 2 as they call it)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My money is on the card not being able to keep up at that particular point in time, combination of frame rate and picture detail leading to overloading the data rate. Try filming at the highest res and frame rate you can, with lots of motion and a ‘busy’ background and see if it happens again with your card. Try a decent branded and gopro recommended sandisk, Samsung or Lexar card. 16gb is under a tenner now anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘GoPro Experts – what's wrong here?’ is closed to new replies.