Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Goodwood Festival of Speed -,Eurofighter display
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Well my giddy Aunt. Coming down from th SDW (having said Hi to Pictonroad and his mad mate) and there’s this Eurofighter doing a totally mad display over the race course. I kid you not, at one point it was flying tail to the ground almost vertical travelling forwards, not up. The speed it was doing looked like about 30mph, how the hell it didn’t fall out of the sky amazes me.
    Then it proceeded to do some proper bonkers moves and let off it engine so loud, yet not travel any quicker, like it was about to blow up.

Crowds were parked on the edge of the road and a huge amount of cameras dangled from car windows.

Simply stunning 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

how the hell it didn’t fall out of the sky amazes me

with the computer turned off it takes on the flying aspect of a brick. Those wings and canards are only ornamental. It stays in the air through CPU cycles and the will of Allah alone.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I saw this yesterday – it was simply astonishing.
    Set off every car alarm in the car park – kept me very busy jump-starting them all later…

jam-bo

I saw a pair in the lakes a month or so back.

They came through by Rydal water below us very low, very fast, very loud.

My 3yr old son was both amazed and terrified. Still talks about it now.

pictonroad

Yep, seen it twice at the FOS, it blows your mind and the noise, THE NOISE. You can hear it, not feel it, highlight of the show, especially if you’re absolutely mashed. 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Noise? Pah.

Four RR Olympus at full throttle, nose to the skies off the end of the runway at Finningley. THAT is noise.

crazy-legs

Four RR Olympus at full throttle, nose to the skies off the end of the runway at Finningley. THAT is noise

That’s a *better* noise but I think the Typhoon trumps it for all out volume. It’s a different tone altogether, more a menacing crackling roar, the Vulcan is a howl.

slowoldman

It stays in the air through CPU cycles and the will of Allah alone.

That could be tricky if we decide to use them in the Middle East against the Muslim hoardes.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Further to above, The Typhoon display at Goodwood yesterday was very impressive.
    The pilot was a bit hampered by low cloud but still put on one hell of a show.
    I’ve never seen a plane turn so tightly at such speed as he was able to. Watching the vortices pour off the wings and still be churning long after the plane has buggered off was amazing. The noise when he properly opened the taps was fantastic (and set off all the car alarms in the car park giving me loads of easy jumps starts later in the day!)
    My favourite bit though, was when he “wheelied” the length of the show – low speed, nose up at about 45 degrees, balancing its weight on its engine thrust alone – just astonishing.

kcal

They can be pretty loud – however round here the local squadrons are now flying Typhons (used to be Tornadoes) and in ‘normal’ flight mode I’d say the Typhoons were some way quieter..

stevestunts
    Free Member

A couple of years back we had a day trip to St Andrews and took a wander along the beach, RAF Leuchars being just across the way, where the display team is based.

I think the pilot must have been a practice session in his dinner break, as we were treated to a display the likes of which I’ve never seen before. So much so that our then-two year old daughter wandered off into the sea, as I was transfixed on the sky.

I agreed that the ‘wheelie’ is completely nuts and must surely be achieved through some sort of bad magic, as there is no way a jet should be able to stay in the sky at that speed.

renton
    Free Member

Kcal where are you based ?

Typhoon display jet and pilot are based at coningsby. 29 sqn.

They have stopped them doing performance take offs here as they are damaging the runway. :mrgreen:

swanny853

Balancing on the engine thrust is actually the pilot practicing for vertical carrier landings- they’ll strengthen the tail and use that when the f35 doesn’t turn up

willej

Didn’t see the Typhoon but we did see the Red Arrows twice over our house this morning. Our little girl was well impressed; “Red rarrows, red rarrows, Daddy, look!”

jambalaya
    Free Member

It came to Dartmouth Regatta one year. We certainly got an amazing bit of kit for the money. I think it has some pretty cute software to allow it do some of these manouvers

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hardly.

Anyway,

Noise? Pah.

Four RR Olympus at full throttle, nose to the skies off the end of the runway at Finningley. THAT is noise.

Hardly again.

Noise is 16 RR Olympus at full throttle, nose to the skies off the end of the runway at RAF Finningley, the Queens silver Jubilee airshow 1977. 4 Vulcan scramble. That was in the days when airshows were proper awesome. Yo lot have missed sooo much. 😆

garage-dweller

agree it was really impressive yesterday it just halted the majority of the crowd.

Outstanding. Put the two wheeling Nissan juke into perspective!

Did it relieve the expected bored look mike? Your stand seemed quite empty when I picked the bike up… Guess you were out with the jump leads.

ratherbeintobago

Noise is 16 RR Olympus at full throttle, nose to the skies off the end of the runway at RAF Finningley, the Queens silver Jubilee airshow 1977. 4 Vulcan scramble.

I was at the Leuchars airshow in the mid-80s when they had to stop the show to scramble the QRA Phantoms. Four Speys on full reheat were pretty noisy, too…

superfli
    Free Member

I hope the Euros are there today, we are cycling upto the Trundle to hopefully watch them at 11am. This is what I was told anyway 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve lived in Farnborough for 24 years. We get displays like this every other year. It’s impressive but mostly I ignore it now…….
    The only thing that always make me look up, and ALWAYS the most impressive flying display, is the Red Arrows. I’ve seen B52s, Concorde, Vulcan, Harrier, Stealth bomber; giant transport planes and every warplane that flies but the Arrows beat the lot. 🙂

renton
    Free Member

A mate of mine is one of the blue suit engineers that flys around in the back of one of the red arrows……..

I’m not jealous much !!

nickc

Hardly.

Stonor is pretty much on the money, turn off the computers and it will fall out of the sky

bikemike1968
    Free Member

That is true of most transport now though – turn off the computers in your Audi/octavia/insert stw stereotype car of choice and see how far you get…

kcal

@renton – Elgin.

Grew up here (in the days of Buccaneers and Phantoms IIRC) and returned about 10 years ago.

phiiiiil

The only thing that always make me look up, and ALWAYS the most impressive flying display, is the Red Arrows.

My parents live in Lincolnshire under where the Red Arrows train; the sky can be full of coloured smoke from amazing displays but my mum will still be enthusing about the 1030 from East Midlands to Amsterdam that her flightradar app is telling her about. Funny what you get used to… 🙂

CountZero

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison of displays by the Typhoon and the Su 35, which seems to be able to carry off manoeuvres that defy all logic, like the Cobra, or rotating completely around its own CofG while still going forwards.

m1kea
    Free Member

Dunno why but I had a tear in my eye watching the Typhoon whilst cycling around last year’s Shoreham air show.

I remember seeing a Harrier doing the whole curtseying to the crowd and backward flying thing at a mid 80’s air show. Damn that was loud.

integerspin
    Free Member

Su 35, which seems to be able to carry off manoeuvres that defy all logic, like the Cobra, or rotating completely around its own CofG while still going forwards.

I haven’t been to a display since the 60’s. But I did see a sukoi 37 display from a distance in the 90’s, it didn’t look possible.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The joys of vectored thrust. Even the better models can do it.

[video]https://youtu.be/dThO0tyFJmY[/video]

muddy@rseguy

The Typhoon display always looks cool at Goodwood FOS, it gave me an excuse to escape our stand for 5 minutes and spectate,

I did watch the Italian airforce flying them at Grosetto airbase in Tuscany a few years back…five or six of them all practising combat take-offs are VERY LOUD! 🙂

renton
    Free Member

Eddiebaby…… You do realize that is a radio controlled model a d not the real thing ??

Still impressive though eh

Dolcered

Just back from the FOS yesterday evening, we took an extended trip back to Ayrshire as we took the mbikes. Now suffering from flat twin vibration hand issues. Had a great time at the festival.

We were talking to a guy at the AA stand about the 1948 landie, now curious if that was one of you?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Goodwood Festival of Speed -,Eurofighter display’ is closed to new replies.