Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Good track pump? my jowblow struggles at 90+ psi
  • jacob46
    Free Member

My road bike requires 100+ psi and my jowblow from halfords struggles like hell even though the gauge goes up to 200 (no chance)

Jamie
    Free Member

Which one you have? I have the Topeak Joe Blow Sport II Bike Pump, and it goes to 110+ relatively easy.

kilo

Sks rennkompressor, much better than my joe blow

eskay

kilo – Member

Sks rennkompressor, much better than my joe blow

+1

A very good quality pump, I think you can buy every spare part for it.

Nobby

Lezyne Floor Drive – used mine up to 150psi several times without issue. The gauges seem better than on their lower pressure pumps too.

MoreCashThanDash

Lezyne Floor Drive here. Lovely to use.

jacob46
    Free Member

mines a joe blow II and ive managed to get it to go up to 110 but it struggles!

Sam

Another Lezyne here. Gets daily workshop use over 4 years old now (at a guess) and still going strong. Replaced the head with a Hirame style one and it is excellent. Goes to 180psi though the gauge says 160 max.

kilo

The Hirame pump head is a thing of beauty!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

My old Decathlon track pump works well with road tyres, and was very cheap.

riddoch

Another vote for the lezyne. Used it successful to get tubelessness to work too.
    Off to investigate this hirame pump head of which you speak.

StuF

Is your Joe Blow quite old? Mine used to be fine but had started to leak air around the head unit.

Took it apart – cleaned it, put a layer of elec tape (cut to fit into the groove for the o-rings), re seated the o-rings, lubed with a bit of oil to make putting it back together a bit easier.

All good now and not leaking, easy to get back to 110-120 psi.

jacob46
    Free Member

StuF – Member
    Is your Joe Blow quite old? Mine used to be fine but had started to leak air around the head unit.

Took it apart – cleaned it, put a layer of elec tape (cut to fit into the groove for the o-rings), re seated the o-rings, lubed with a bit of oil to make putting it back together a bit easier.

All good now and not leaking, easy to get back to 110-120 psi.

POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

it gets there easy ? mite as well get a new one instead of going through all that.

mogrim

cheshirecat – Member
    My old Decathlon track pump works well with road tyres, and was very cheap.

+1 mine goes up to 110 without problem.

Still, taking it apart and regreasing is a 5 minute job, at most. I’d do that first!

Jamie
    Free Member

it gets there easy ? mite as well get a new one instead of going through all that.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-head-rebuild-kit/

Got to be worth a punt, and 5 mins of your time?

StuF

it gets there easy ? mite as well get a new one instead of going through all that

Ha! I’m a tight northerner at heart and like taking things apart – for 5-10 mins effort it’s saved £30

wilburt
    Free Member

Wiggle Lifeline £16, so far so good.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not your valves? If they’re Presta – are you sure they’re fully open etc? I can hit 160 with a JB, but if it’s not fitted properly over the valve, or if the valve is closed or bent then you’re not gonna do it with any pump.

Ensure the valve lockring is all the way down against the rim [and 1/2 a turn further, no more], fully unscrew the locking nut on the presta stalk, shove the bugger on, HOLD IT THERE, and flip the lever. Pump.

Certainly from 0PSI there should feel like nearly no resistance to airflow. If from 0PSI there’s more than a smidge of resistance, check the thing is on properly etc.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh – also – you are topping and bottoming the thing out, aren’t you? Don’t do it very hard, but if you don’t make the stroke 100% you’re just heating the air up 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I always make the same response to these threads –

Silca Pista. Was dubious when sold this very plain, dull, looking pump by Evans Cycles many many years ago which was sitting next to flash modern pumps like Joe Blows etc but it’s been completely faultless for nearly 20 years. I think I changed the valve head but that’s it. Lived in a damp shed for years as well.

SKS Rennkompressor. Needed a second pump to keep in the car and bought one of these. Very solidly made and rather lovely.

Lezyne does look sweet though – http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/791863-best-new-old-pumps-silca-vs-lezyne.html

mtbfix

Of course the downside to Silca pumps is that when your 20 year old Pista packs in due to a worn washer you then discover that the pumps have had a different barrel diameter for the past 15 years and your old one cannot be fixed. Off pump shopping…

duntstick
    Free Member

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Good track pump? my jowblow struggles at 90+ psi’ is closed to new replies.