Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Good things that happened at Gigs
  • bigbadbob
    Free Member

I remember my pal lost his cherry at a Mission gig. That’s Fifers for you…
    My lady friend orgasmed when we saw Prince on the Lovesexy Tour.
    Chatting to the original line up of Gun at Leeds Poly before there gig. Saw those lads a few times. Great live.
    Having a spliff passed up to us on the balcony at Bradford St Georges Hall by Ali Campbell at a UB40 gig.
    Telling the doorman I’m on the Guest List a few times for various gigs.

Any good memories you can share.

edlong
    Free Member

Festivals count? Think I may have shared this one before – V96ish, when it was still at Temple Newsam (Leeds) – skint so got the bus up with some mates, tried to sneak in (this was before all festivals has 100 foot high steel walls round the site), got quite near to being in, stood on a wall wondering what to do next when one of the lovely Showsec guys in their HiViz said

“Oi, you lot, you’re not allowed up there, get back down here now!”

“Yes sir”

climbed down as indicated – cool we’re in!

Half and hour later, went for a sit down on the grass, right next to where we sat was a neatly folded £20 note. With something acting as a paperweight holding it onto the ground. Something that looked very much like a decent sized block of hash.

Beer money, and smoke in one find – karma was kind that day.

Oh, and even bumped into some people we knew and got a life back home in their van at the end.

The Prodigy were rubbish though.

Cougar

Chatting to the original line up of Gun

Hugely underrated band, you have my envy. I’ve met them too, but it was a couple of years ago when Toby Jepson was fronting them.

jswan
    Free Member

My mates brother ended up playing guitar on stage with Green Day and then gave us all a shout out, which was nice.

LMT
    Free Member

Was going to say Imogen? ah not that giggs!

peachos
    Free Member

Beat-Herder last year, went for a piss in the woods & found a purse containing about £100, cash card and some other fun stuff. A few years back it would have been a case of hand the card & purse in and blow the rest, however the vibe of the festival got the better of me & I managed to track down the owner via lost & found a couple of days later & handed over the package to the loser’s disbelief that everything was still there.

Some big karma points for me there…

RustySpanner

Sang on stage with Here & Now, Misty In Roots & The Atlanta Soul Band.
    Pure cheek – terrible voice.

Proposed to Victor Brox’s daughter at Band on The Wall in Manchester, after hearing her sing.
    She turned me down. 🙁

Drank most of Faith No More’s rider at the old International in Manchester (mates brother was a photographer for Kerrang!).

Met Steve Mason from the Beta Band at a great Lone Pigeon gig in Manchester because I very, very, vaguely knew Mani (used to drink in the same pub) who was in the audience.

Had a great night on the pop with an American band called Sugar Ray in Manchester after meeting them in a pub. Free tickets. 🙂 Good Gig.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

One of my first gigs was a hole one at the barrowlands about 1995…courtney love saw someone wearing a pearl jam tshirt and stopped playing and told him to remove it…he wouldnt so she said she would give him her panties if he gave her the tshirt. The shirt was quickly chucked up on stage and she started playing her guitar again…stopped then whipped off her knickers and chucked them in the crowd.

Never seen a moshpit fight quite like it!

yunki
    Free Member

Good things will be happening at a gig this very evening..

I and other nameless individuals will be skulling a few red stripes and a rum or two and skankin our feet off and souls up to the sounds of Lee Scratch Perry..

I once got given a couple of very potent 2ci tablets at Reading Festival, the manic dancing that ensued delighted members of Weapons of Sound who were performing the headline act on one of the smaller stages..
    I was coaxed onto the stage to be a bit of a Bez character for the duration.. but the security soon tossed me back amongst the masses after I wandered backstage with the band when the gig had finished..

Further back in time and I ended up randomly staying with some friends of friends in Glasgow for a few weeks in my late teens.. one night we went through to a filthy little club under Edinburgh station for a rave.. I again was smashed on voodoo, and again invited onto the stage to dance by the main act..

The stage was about 12’x8′.. the only lighting in the whole room was a dodgy strobe and the little guy behind the keyboard on the stage was Moby

thinking about it, good stuff always happens at gigs.. 😀

tang
    Free Member

Too many good times…

Northwind

First proper gig I went to was the Almighty at the Queens Hall in Edinburgh. I was I think 14, tiny little kid, and we won backstage passes from Kerrang magazine. Saw the show from the front (first gig, first moshpit, first bleeding when leaving a moshpit, got on the stage, first stagedive… Not bad) then wandered backstage into the dressing rooms and got basically adopted by the band for being so feeble 😆 Pure rock and roll, “Here, have a diet coke. Oi, stop swearing, there’s kids!”. Lovely people. Only realised years later that the reason Floyd wasn’t talkative was that he was off his face 😆

Kit
    Free Member
    CountZero

Met lots of really nice people after gigs, getting stuff signed, like Aimee Mann, Maria McKee, JD Souther, which aren’t that exceptional, but are always nice to round off the evening. I did get asked on stage recently by Cerys Matthews to help provide percussion during a couple of songs when she played Chapel Arts in Bath, which was fun. Lovely lady. 😀
    I really envied the bloke at the Elbow gig at the O2 recently, who called out to Guy that it was his birthday. Guy then demanded that everyone sing him happy birthday, or the band wouldn’t come back on for the encore, and did a song where he played guitar, then walked down the runway, held it out and said ‘happy birthday’ and gave the bloke his Stratocaster! 😯
    Lucky git! A roadie then went down with the case while the band were off out the back. Makes a scrounged pick look pretty feeble. 🙁

CountZero

Just to show it happened, here’s Guy, with Strat;

Here’s lucky bloke in the audience, holding his new birthday pressy aloft. Jealous? Moi? 👿

Northwind

Where is the picture of him being mugged shortly after?

MrSmith
    Free Member

When I was art college (before the Internet) a metal drummer friend of mine went to a motörhead gig, pulled a leather clad vixen and caught ‘filthy’s thrash stick’ when he threw the drumsticks into the crowd.
    I was happy for him by proxy. 🙂

BristolPablo
    Free Member

we were regulars at the fleece and firkin in Bristol so got to hang about backstage with a few cool bands like Rootjoose and 3 Colours Red, Spunge were very amusing too. I’m sure they would have all hung about with horny teenage girls and not skanky long haired sixth formers but thems the breaks!….

jamj1974

Met Steve Mason from the Beta Band at a great Lone Pigeon gig in Manchester because I very, very, vaguely knew Mani (used to drink in the same pub) who was in the audience.

Very jealous…

Mani = Very, very cool
    Lone Pigeon aka Gordon Anderson = very, very cool and criminally under-appreciated
    Steve Mason = The Beta Band, they did some great stuff and were amazing live

zippykona

We had some real laughs following The Neffies. Must have seen them well over 50 times.
    Once in Gottingen Germany we arrived at the venue during the day. We settled ourselves down when a guy opened the door and let us in.
    He took us through to the dressing room where there was a pool table and all the beer we could want.
    Eventually the band turned up and in true Blues Brothers style we were kicked out!
    At a bar in Rotterdam we settled ourselves for a few pre gig beers. The owner came over all excited wanting his picture taken with us. We told him we weren’t the band and he’s going you can’t fool me.
    So he has his picture taken with us and once again free beer.
    Outside the Phillipshalle somewhere in Germany we pull up in a cab and its like full on beatlemania for a minute until the fraus realise we’re just some ugly mugs from London. Jeez, being the actual band must have been a blast.
    Seeing The Neffies support Laibach in Germany was bloody scarey though. Laibach had a swastika made out of axes for their back drop and 2 hitler youth in lederhosen doing some drumming at the front of the stage.
    This really stirred something in the collective German psyche and they were getting more stereotypical by the minute. Mouths firmly kept shut at that one.

Couldn’t be bothered to write it again.

maccruiskeen

Telling the doorman I’m on the Guest List a few times for various gigs

A friend of mine at college used to take an empty guitar case to gigs and rush in saying he was the support act’s manager, pointing at at the case and rolling his eyes in a ‘what are they like, they’d forget their head if it wasn’t screwed on’ fashion.

twohats
    Free Member

Watching Motörhead from stage side at the Hammersmith Apollo then partying with Mikkey Dee in his dressing room afterwards.

TooTall
    Free Member

You know those barriers at the front of big gigs? The ones where security stand in the gap between the stage and the audience to keep the stagedivers away? Here’s some footage of the very first barrier I ever worked – I only found out that this existed last month….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTkY7O8mHI[/video]

30 sec in, bloke in front of Kurt, flat top, glasses. Me 😀

RustySpanner

jamj1974 – Member

Very jealous…

Mani = Very, very cool
    Lone Pigeon aka Gordon Anderson = very, very cool and criminally under-appreciated
    Steve Mason = The Beta Band, they did some great stuff and were amazing live

Was at a place called ‘Red Square’, on Peter St in Manchester, about 8 or 9 years ago. 😀

Great gig by Gordon A, giving it the full Brian Wilson, waving hands about treatment. There was another couple of bands on, but I don’t remember who they were.
    I was there with a friend of mine, Kate, who was also a huge Beta Band fan.
    Got talking to Mani (we used to both drink in the Broadway in Moston) and he introduced us to Steve Mason, who was a complete gent.
    He signed Kate’s baseball jacket and we ended up having a good chat.

It’s a happy and sad memory tbh, because Kate died of breast cancer a couple of years ago, but I’ll never forget how happy she was that night, or the friendliness and approachability of the Fife crew.

Off for a bit of a cry before I put the pancakes on.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Patted down in the queue of a Vice Squad gig by Beki Bondage at the Mayflower Club Belle Vue

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Good things that happened at Gigs’ is closed to new replies.