Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Good first bike car?
  • slugrider
    Free Member

Need to buy my first car, needs to be able to carry bikes inside reasonably well (2 bikes & 2 people) or what’s the point iN having a car?

Looking at a suzuki Wagon R as it’s small yet reasonably van-like.

And other ideas? Budget is as close to zero as possible.

Cheers!

thepodge
    Free Member

I got 2 people, 2 bikes and 2 lots of camping gear for 4 days in a 10 year old clio that cost me 800 quid

I got my whole bike in the boot of a 305 that cost me 500

matt_outandabout

Old model Yaris. Two bike across back seat with wheels off, or in boot.

Uber reliable. Cheap. Works.

Better than the WagonR for comfort and reliability.

My father has owned two Yaris and two WagonR campers(!), we have owned one of those Yaris as well.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Between vans at the mo and I’m regularly getting an XL MTB and kit in a Micra – admittedly the seats are always laid flat!

I’ve previously found an Astra estate to be really good as their cheap to buy/run and no need to lay the seats down, as long as you don;t mind removing the wheels.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 people, 2 bikes and 2 lots of gear comfortably in the back of my Polo GTI. Wipe clean leather seats too – and it could be yours for £600!

Mechanically perfect, few marks to be associated with a 15 year old car but heated leather, nav, xenon lights and a nippy little 125bhp engine 😀

On eBay at the minute if you’re interested!

kayla1
    Free Member

Fiat Doblo, fetch the single rear seat out and you can get four bodies and a couple of bikes in no probs. It’s also long enough to sleep in the back if you’re shorter than 5’8″ 😀 Ours was £800 and is as reliable as tomorrow.

zero-cool
    Free Member

You can fit 2 people, it and bikes in most normal,sized cars. Spent 3 weeks bumming around the Alps in a Puegoet 306 with 2 bikes, 2 people and shed loads of spares. The 1.9/2.9 HDI is cheap and reliable. One of the last good Puegoets in my opinion.
    Focus estate? Cheap to buy, reliable with cheap spares. Astra estates are reliable as well. Depends what your budget is and how much you’re willing to pay on insurance.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Honda Jazz.

mtbfix

My Yaris Verso that I still haven’t got round to selling?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Renault Kangoo? Its a van with windows and seats..

philjunior
    Free Member

Bike car?

gastromonkey
    Free Member

We used to regularly transport 2 people, 2 bikes (back seats down and the wheels off the bikes) and loads of kit in a ’54 reg Ford Fiesta 1.4 diesel. Loads of MPG, very cheap to tax, insure, repair (only 1 trip to the garage in 5 years!). It’s not the most inspiring drive but it was comfortable enough for longer trips.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most hatchbacks will be fine for what you require. FWIW….

I got two road bikes plus two pairs of extra wheels and camping gear in the back of a Honda Civic.

I also managed three mountain bikes and three people in a Nissan Almera.

And one mountain bike, one BMX and four people in an old Ford Fiesta.

Also…. three BMXs and four people in the Almera. Although I don’t think those in the back were very comfy….

philjunior
    Free Member

Serious answer – any medium sized hatch with split rear seat can accomodate 3 and their bikes with some tight packing, larger ones/estates will take more.

Even something like a Puma will take 2 plus 2 bikes with wheels removed etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Good first bike car?’ is closed to new replies.