Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Good drying breeze(boring washing line replacement content)
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

So while i was out at scolty on the bike the wind and the bed sheets destroyed our hills rotary yesterday…….

What the hell do you replace it with. Wont be another hills – previous owner left this one but i since looked them up and they are 199 quid…….ps its not just the cables , the arms have splayed badly – it should be square its now rectangular.

Anything decent availible for less money ? I had a squint about and realised i know absolutely nowt. All i know is its in a very exposed location so probably wants to be fairly robust.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That pics a bit squint terry!. I got Minky retractable numbers from aldi for about a fiver, lasted a few years so far.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had to hide all the weeds on the patio

Sadle a retractable wall mounted job isnt an option as it wont mount to the hedge or the oil tank.

Our back garden isnt all the big and im not sticking my skids in the front garden.

allthepies
    Free Member

Minky retractable

this.

Edit: post crossover. Sure there’s nothing to connect the retractable line to ? I attached a short piece of cable to a tree and put a clip on the end of that. The retractable line then hooks onto the clip.

Nothing on the oil tank you could attach a short line of cable to and do the same ?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

You’re a mech eng, fix it you soft tart.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sink a 4×4 fence post in with a couple of bags of postcrete, couple of hooks on it, plant a clematis at the bottom of it too!.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I might do as a last resort but im not keen on the idea.

Wanmankylung.

That is my prefered option how ever ive been told its time for a new one……. This isnt the first time its broke- i blame operator error….although tis time is a little more catestrophic than last time , it looks really sad im the back garden now 🙂

bruneep

What cloudnine says

project
    Free Member

Lots of them in tesco, argos and band q, just errected 2 for a customer, reduced prioce in tesco for an aldiss one.

project
    Free Member

also make sure they revolbve like a windmill onits side, as this takes the strain out of thewind pulling one way.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers bruneep- guess thats J’s birthday sorted…..that and an ironing board 😉

I know there are lots out there but i live on top of a hill and take the brunt of northerlys traveling over about 25 miles of open space before the nearest trees. I suspect a cheapo one would be in bits in weeks as oppose to years. – id seen brabantias but asfaik they make bins…..their washing lines could be as good as audis mountain bike……

kcal

went for the post crete and ‘proper’ poles option – and some strong line – steel pegs always worth while too..

Never really took to rotary dryers myself, far better to get a straight line and let the wind take its course, nought better than seeing the sheets and towels out like a galleon in full sail until they end up in neighbours’ garden of course 🙂

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

One of THESE, if you cant fix it to your house then you obviously don’t have one 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

2unfit2ride.

Wtf is that

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for Brabantia, their kit must be designed by mech. engnrs.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Did you not open the link?
    It sits/fixes against the wall of your house, it doesn’t rotate but its fab, we have one & most of our friends now have them or want one!

slowster
    Free Member
    peabrain
    Free Member

If you want an extra line for proper good drying days I just saw this one recommended on Mumsnet

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did open it – and i thought it was an abomination. Coupled with the only place it could go on the back of my house that isnt infront of a window is over the oil boiler…..mmm oily clothes.

Just been out bodging the old one – on closer inspection its the rivets that have failed , the nylons only a stressed member on one side once that happens so it folded back with the sail effect of the sheets.

Some m6 bolts,washers and nyloc nuts ,a 5 mm drilll bit , a quick clamp and we are back in business……. Should be stronger than new now.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well if you think this

or this

Is an “abomination” compared to what you posted above then I’m speechless 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

does she come with the washing line 😉 that massively improves its looks.

unless she is disproportionally sized for a woman though then that looks to be very small….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Good drying breeze(boring washing line replacement content)’ is closed to new replies.