Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Good bank account/credit card for Oz holiday
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Probably best looking on Money saving expert……but, whats the best deal-exchange rate/fee's for our spending money for a month in Oz?

Muchas grassy arse in advance.

peteimpreza

Nationwide usually do well for holiday stuff

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Use a foreign transaction fee free credit card from Nationwide or Abbey (now Santander). Most cards charge around 1.5-2% per transaction, but the specific cards from these two don't (the Abbey one is the Zero card, which is what I have).

I travel abroad a lot, and get exchange rates on the card pretty close to the interbank rate. Way better than the rates on currency.

One more tip, if a hotel (or whatever) asks you whether you want to pay in the local currency or pounds, it's generally better to pay in local currency, assuming you have a fee free card. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the exchange rate of the hotel's bank.

For currency, I either use the card in a cash machine abroad (and pay the cash interest – still cheapest), or use the recommended sources on Money Saving Expert (generally Post Office).

Paul

zinger
    Free Member

As already said by CC get a Santander Zero credit card (No charges) – nationwide started charging for using their credit card outside of Europe last year

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Good bank account/credit card for Oz holiday’ is closed to new replies.