Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Golf Estate Good bad opinions?
  • maxray
    Free Member

Has anyone on here got any experience of the new Golf Estate? The other half is a bit fearful of driving a full size estate hence us having a Polo estate at the mo but going to need a little bit more room soon so been having a think about what might be a good replacement.

IA

Most estates are only as long as the non-estate versions, and easier to park due to the flat back.

But of a similar ilk, focus estates seems good. If I was buying a smaller car I'd have one of those. You can get 3 XC bikes, and wheels, in the boot with the seats still up. Which is pretty good. And I'm pretty sure my mate's done it with 4 too, with a bit of cunning.

Though having said that, and driven golfs a fair bit too, I think the golf is a nicer car to be in, but the focus drives better. And for me the money saved on the focus means that's where I'd go.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah, driven the father in laws focus sport estate and it was quite nice, I guess the VW carries a higher price just for the badge. Do like the look of them though.. as estates go 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

we've got a 58 focus estate. it's awesome.

simon_g

The photos on Parkers show a full-size bike in the boot, wheels on (which the Octavia will also do, same platform) – so better than most at that size.

What are you carrying? I have a Honda Civic and the huge (485l), wide, low boot, completely flat load area with the seats folded, and the "magic seats" (they can flip up, cinema-seat style giving a huge space in the back to load) makes it far more useful than my old estate, especially when you need to carry 3 people plus stuff.

I scuba dive, and managed to get 3 of us plus all our UK kit (so 6 x 15l cylinders, a few boxes and a load of bags) in just fine with the boot and one of the seats flipped up. Nothing above the window line at all. Also managed 3 with bikes inside, with a bit of juggling and removing wheels.

All that in a car that's the same size as a regular Golf hatch. It's ace.

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm hadnt considered summet like a Civic, extra space is for an extra kid (if all goes well). Fill the car to the rafters for the three of us so presuming will need a bit more room when theres 4 🙂

5lab

you can get 5 (!) full freeride bikes in the boot of a mondeo estate, with the seats up, and 5 lads inside for a dirty weekend in wales

is a bit of a squeeze, mind

on a more relevent note, the golf estate is based on the mk5, not the mk6

monkeychild
    Free Member

Personally I would go Octavia estate over the golf as you get more space and better value for money. I looked at MK4 Golfs before I got my Octavia and was not impressed with them personally.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Focus estate of any age will wipe the floor with the competition on value, reliability and driving pleasure. Check http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/ford/focus-estate/summary/25391-6 or http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/ford/focus-estate/summary/23517-6

jsm

The current golf estate is really just a facelift on the old golf hatchback version (unless i'm wrong). There's a new version of the golf estate coming out soon-ish.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/vw-reveals-new-golf-estate/240291 @ novemeber?

I would recommend an octavia estate as they are bigger, cheaper, wiser buy. They finally got the VAG common rail diesel versions. 1.6 for example.

Brycey
    Free Member

My folks have got a 2.0litre TDI (140 hp) Sportline. It's based on the Mk5, and the new one mentioned above will be a facelift to give it the Mk6 look. It does what it says on the tin; well put together, comfortable, fast – an Octavia is an obvious and cheaper alternative. I like the look of the Golf though, folks' is red and suits it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Golf Estate Good bad opinions?’ is closed to new replies.