Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Going Tubeless
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi All,

I have just bought some Coni Mountain King 2 tyres and was thinking about going tubeless.

I have the presta valves and tubeless compatable mavi wheels, however I can’t find anything which says whether they are definitely tubeless compatable

They are the cheaper wire bead ones.

Would it be just a case of filling them up with some of that milky stuff or is it more involved than that?
    Can
    anyone shed any light?

Cheers,

Dom

njee20
    Free Member

Mavic don’t do tubeless compatible rims, they do UST, or not. If it’s the former you can struggle to get normal tyres to inflate (yours are not tubeless, only the ‘Race Sport’ and UST versions of Contis are designed to run tubeless). If your rims are the latter you need some sort of conversion kit.

If the tyres are a tight fit you may get lucky, but IME the pronounced well in UST rims makes inflating normal tyres without tubes a ball ache. Using proper tubeless ready/UST tyres is far easier, but necessitates buying new tyres.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Balls,

I got told by the shop I bought the wheels from they were Tubeless compatable.

No worries, tubes for me it is.

What is the difference between a tubeless rim and a UST rim?!

njee20
    Free Member

Well UST is ‘the standard’, tyres effectively ‘lock’ between the bead the rim. No sealant required, but tyres are heavy and expensive.

Then people started doing ‘tubeless ready’, which is a UST bead on a normal carcass, so you need sealant, which has the added advantage of puncture protection and lighter weight.

Stan’s rims aren’t UST, but are designed to run tubeless with a turn of their tape to seal the spoke holes. This method can work with other rims, but isn’t a design feature. You have to select your tyres a little more carefully as there’s not the same guaranteed compatibility as with UST, but it’s the lightest set up.

mattmbk
    Free Member

I run Mavic Crossrides, standard Maxxis Advantage tyres with Stans rim tape, valves and latex. No problems as long as you have a compressor for the first inflation.

theflash
    Free Member

http://www.mavic.com/en/technology/wheels/UST (Universal standard for tubeless)
    Best and lightest set up IMO, will work with pretty much any tire with sealant and the use of a compressor.
    Put your conti’s on add 3/4 inch depth of sealant as it lies, fit the bead, squidge the tire all the way round against the floor until sealant is forced out between the bead and the rim, Get compressor and pump up to 40 psi (you may have to manipulate the tyre where air is escaping), Whne inflated spin the wheel to make sure you have coated all the inside of the tyre and your done, CO2 will work but you’ll have to pump the tyre up to 40 psi with a pump. If you struggle to get them to inflate buy yourself a small tub of Copydex with the brush in the top and paint it on to the beads of the tyre,its a lot thicker than sealant so will make up any gaps between bead and rim, when it drys you will have a perfect UST seal formed (personally I use a 50/50 mix of copydex and antifreeze as sealant, damn sight cheaper than Stans> You still have to use sealant with UST tyres as they are quite susceptable to thorn punctures, normal carcass tyrea are porous so sealant is essential, Give it a try 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Best and lightest set up IMO, will work with pretty much any tire with sealant and the use of a compressor.

It really isn’t the lightest system, if you use UST tyres it’s the heaviest! If you’re adding Stan’s tape then why not start with a Stan’s rim which is lighter in the first place… Never needed a compressor with Stan’s either. If you don’t want to faff then UST rims and Tubeless Ready tyres (Bonty, Spesh, Schwalbe, Conti) are a safe bet. If you want the lightest you have the wrong wheels.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys,

Until I need to replace the new tyres, I think I’ll just stay with the inner tube as I know it works!

Even if I do have to fix punctures a couple of times a year.

Dom

theflash
    Free Member

njee20, Crossrides are not UST hence the need for tape, weight to strength I’ve not been able to beat the Mavic Crossmax St’s or Sx’s and their longevity is second to none, Stans ZTR crest’s are lighter but I would not race in the Alps on them, perfect for the Uk trail centres etc though. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Going Tubeless’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM