Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Going Shimano XT 11 speed. Do a need to use a shimano chain?
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Or can I go with a SRAM or KMC.

From reading as much as I can find on the net sounds like shimano will have you believe the tolerances in 11 speed mean you can only use a shimano 11 speed chain.

Anyone shed any light on this?

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Any manufacturer will always argue you need to use their full setup for complete compatibility. I ran a KMC on my X1 setup, I now run a KMC on my XT 11 speed setup, works great on both.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And I am using the sram xx1 chain.

ferrals
    Free Member

I hope KMC is fine as I’ve got one to run xt 11seped on. I’m pretty sure the bundle form 18 bikes was including a kmc chain.

cnud
    Free Member

Sram here, replacing an ultegra. No probs at all.

Del

kmc on xt. seems fine.

woodster

KMC here too and it’s working beautifully.

russyh
    Free Member

SRAM X1 chain for me here too!

Tracey

SRAM on our Chameleon, running great.

forge197
    Free Member

Running Shimano chain on 11 speed here, not used Shimano chain for years been mainly SRAM will see how it goes, is working nicely with a renthal chain ring.

Was a spur of the moment decision to go 1×11 have to say pretty pleased so far.

MoreCashThanDash

18Bikes included a SRAM chain in their 11 speed set, so I’m hoping when I get it on the bike it will work!

Tracey

Ours was done at 18 Bikes, works a treat

hammyuk
    Free Member

Running the Ultegra chain on the OH’s XT setup. The KMC one just wouldn’t work right and dragged on the cogs either side of the one you were on.
    The Ultegra is silent.
    On a different note – we discovered the reason for the chain dropping down a cog when pedalling backwards – there is on tooth that has a completely different ramp cut on it to the others and its this tooth that drops the chain off it onto the cog below. Even went as far as to mark it with a paint pen and it was that one every single time.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Yep, we’ve (18 Bikes) been fitting/including Sram chains with much success. I have a Shimano to try out, but out of curiosity more than anything. We’ve always preferred Sram chains, if only for Powerlink/Powerlock.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Stuck one of the Decathlon 11 speed power links it the Shimano chain 😉

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Ran an Ultegra chain and just didn’t work right. Running a boggo 1130 SRAM one now and seems much much better

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Going Shimano XT 11 speed. Do a need to use a shimano chain?’ is closed to new replies.