Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going 2 x 9
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’ve been toying with the idea of switching to a 2 x 9 setup on my Heckler and wondered about the cheapest/easiest way of going about it.

Can I get away with still using my current 3 x 9 left shifter and front mech or will I need to replace them?

As far as ratio’s go do I just change the 32 middle for somethinglike a 36?

Cheers all 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

No need to change mech or shifter. Use whatever rings you want, plenty of people go 22/36, depends what you find you use. I liked 28/40 on a more race orientated bike.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I run 2 x 9 on my Transition Bandit. 39/27 front rings and an 11-34 cassette. Changers are the same but with the stops wound in to reduce the chance of trying to put the chain on the bash ring and the XT front mech just does what it’s told by the shifter.

Do it, mine works very nicely indeed.

stayhigh

Ok thats cool. Is it a bit of a fiddle sorting out the limit screw, do you just set the limit for the middle ring and ignore where the outer one would be?

Do I need to use a bash ring or chain device?

HermanShake
    Free Member

All you’ll need is either; a set of single ring bolts, a bashguard or washers to fill the gap left by the big ring. As you probably know, just limit the mech to stop after the middle ring. Easy peasy 😀 Oh yeah, you may as well shorten your chain if your committing to it.

I’m 2×9 22/32, no bash and happy with it. Takes a little longer to get to the trail but I just pedal faster! The gear range is fine for me once I’m off the tarmac and I like the log clearance too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I got a cheap Gamut off the classifieds and just set the limit screw:

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/fitting-a-chain-device.htm

toppers3933
    Free Member

Cheapest and easiest way is to just not shift down to the granny ring/big ring as appropriate. Simple. If you really want to make sure adjust the front mech so you cant shift down into the granny ring/big ring. Slightly less simple but still not astrophysics!

HermanShake
    Free Member

I personally use a DMR single pulley thingy like a Blackspire stinger behind the BB but it depends on what you ride.

The limit screw is easy to set, just wind it in until it stops the mech shifting to 3.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

2 x 9 on both geared bikes.

Can I get away with still using my current 3 x 9 left shifter and front mech or will I need to replace them?

Yes, just wind the top screw in on the mech to stop it shifting too far.

As far as ratio’s go do I just change the 32 middle for somethinglike a 36?

That’s what I have, with an 11-34 cassette. Works fine unless you’re pounding DH fireroads.

Do I need to use a bash ring or chain device?

Both really useful (especially in bumpier/rockier areas) but not essential.

stayhigh

Cheers for the link foxyrider, thats a nice clear guide 🙂

Ah, I hadnt thought about changing the chainring bolts over, will add some to the list.

I run a 11-32 cassette so will a 36 middle be ok with that?

I may leave the guide/bash for now and see how I get on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going 2 x 9’ is closed to new replies.