Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gluing rubber to carbon?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Hi, hoping the answer is the continental glue used for tubular tyres.

The rubber stop on my Cannondale frame has come away in the heat of the day. Nesd to get it back on and be confident it will stay on and not damage the frame.

Any suggestions?

coconut
    Free Member

“Black Witch” neoprene glue, works well.

andyl
    Free Member

Double sided tape? Something decent by 3M with a pressure sensitive acrylic adhesive would be my suggestion.

nickdavies

I’d use the first mentioned tub glue. You want to glue rubber to carbon, which is what tub glue does to carbon wheels? I’d imagine it’s pretty sticky too. Maybe chuck a zip tie around it after.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Why not use amalgamation tape.

andyl
    Free Member

you mean self amalgamating tape? By definition it only sticks to itself, nothing else so it’s good for wrapping round stuff you dont actually want it to stick to but thats all. It would be okay to wrap around the frame and secure the part if that’s what you mean? Won’t look pretty though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I had this problem on my Jekyll and ended up using the spare double sided mount pads that came with my GoPro.

njee20
    Free Member

Tub cement gets my vote. Bear in mind it’ll need 24 hours+ to dry.

crispycross
    Free Member

When gluing tubs, you aren’t sticking rubber to anything. You stick the glue to carbon (this bit works a treat) and to the base tape of the tub. I think this is usually cotton. Having said that, something like your continental tub cement is the nearest you’ll get to old-style solvent-loaded contact cement and that is good for rubber too.

It’s not the strongest sticky in the world – something like araldite might even be better. Faster-curing ones might be better as they will be less brittle once set.

withersea
    Free Member

In the end I used bathroom silicone after testing it on an another piece of carbon to make sure there wasn’t a horrible reaction. Took a while to set, but did the job nicely.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Beaten to it. Silicone sealant/based glue should work well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gluing rubber to carbon?’ is closed to new replies.