• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gee.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Glueing the ends back on bars…
  • gee
    Free Member

So I’m trying to be a bit tight and not fork out £60 on bars that are 1″ wider.

I found the two little 1/2″ bits of carbon bar I cut off the ones on my El Mar ti on the garage floor this evening. Shows how much I clean my garage as they were fitted in March 2011…. Two dabs of superglue later and my bars are back to full width and £60 saved. I reckon the lock-ons and their hard plastic inside bits will distribute the weight along the bar enough that it won’t be an issue…

Hopefully.

Will I die?

GB

Stu_N

Why bother with the bar tips? Just move everything out half an inch so the grips hang off the edge. Save a bit of weight too???

STATO
    Free Member

Ive ridden a DH bar that someone did similar on, was fine. My concern in this situation is your now only using 1 lockon collar to hold the grip onto the bar, on a carbon bar, far from ideal.

gee
    Free Member

Most non-ODI grips only have one lock-on collar so that’s no a problem.

GB

andrewni
    Free Member

Since getting a dh bike with 800mm bars my 680’s on my normal bike have felt way too narrow to the point where I’d started to go off the whole bike. The other night I chopped 40mm sections off an old set of bars and used them as inserts for the outer lock on clamps to grip. I was expecting it to be a fairly flexy bodge to let me see if the wider bars made a difference. In reality the whole things very stable, I like the width and although I’ve every intention of getting a proper set of bars there’s a strong possibility the same three piece bars will still be in place this time next year 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

Will I die?

Not if you used araldite – epoxy and carbon is a potent mix – but I dont beleive that cyanoacrylate is the best substitue, rather brittle.

I only ask that when you test it you have a mate handy to record the result?

gee
    Free Member

Araldite would have been a better bet… I do have some, just didn’t think to use it!!

Fingers crossed.

GB

sugdenr
    Free Member

I think the saying goes ‘check twice, glue once’ doesn’t it? Well, something like that anyway 😕

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

With your track record at race starts, this idea seems BAD to me!

zangolin
    Free Member

If it’s for real and not a wind up then it’s got to be one of most stupid things I have heard someone do with a pair of handlebars.

gee
    Free Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave.

For the record, that was my cleat shearing in half…

Oh and I don’t think it’s that daft – only the same as overhanging the grips by 1/2″ and some lock on grips only have one clamp so no issues with only having one.

GB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Glueing the ends back on bars…’ is closed to new replies.