Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glen Kinglas – WTF have they done to the singletrack?
  • Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

Has anyone been down Glen Kinglas of late? I rode there yesterday and was really looking forward to the technical singletrack just after the slabby slickrock only to find a bulldozed car wide trail where the singletrack used to be. I was gutted. This was a cracking section of trail which has been sanitised to the point of “why bother?” doing Glen Kinglas as a ride any more.

I’m assuming it was to provide car access further up the Glen but the end result is a piss poor relation to what was once there. It’s sad to see a great trail destroyed in the name of improved access. Grrrrrrrrr! Anyone know who’s behing it and why they did it?

On the upside, the climb and descent of the West Highland Way between Bridge of Orchy and Victoria Bridge is still fun to do and the scenery in the sunshine with blue skies above wasn’t half bad either.

Cheers

Sanny

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sanny

Have they rebuilt the suspension bridge too? There was always a road of sorts from the river crossing downsteam. I hope they’ve not earmarked the singletrack along the side of Loch Etive for improvement.

Sanny
    Free Member

The suspension bridge still has planks missing while one of the bridges near the Victoria Bridge end is no more following erosion concerns.

Cheers

Sanny

rickmeister

McM.. The track along the east side of L Etive was our downfall. We had parked at Victoria Bridge hoping to do a Glen Kinglass, Loch Etive, Glen Etive, Rannoch Mor Victoria Bridge round. Loch Etive for us was impassable. A quick calculation of time and distance covered vs distance to go put it out of reach. Spent most of the time pushing. A hired boat would have been better. In teh end did the Glen Kinglas return again.

Sanny, which direction did you do this? From the Loch or from Vic Bridge?

cynic-al
    Free Member

rick – its doable, just not fun, the rest of the ride is all pretty quick.

Personally I’d vote for sanitisation of the loch-side path! Or maybe some ‘shore?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A portaloo perhaps Al?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It is shite Pete, not sure that would get rid of it though.

brownpants
    Free Member

What does WTF mean ? It may cause offence so be careful;-)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Anyone know who’s behing it and why they did it?<

Partially Black mount estate / Fleming family iirc – not generally predisposed to bulldozing tracks. For Stalking obviously…

Double edged sword innit – Carn Ban Mor ascent far worse vandalism for example. In fact everything in Feshie estate is a very bad example…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glen Kinglas – WTF have they done to the singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.